Building Whonix Templates

The Whonix templates are easily downloaded and installed by following the procedure here. However, they are integrated into qubes-builder so they are straight-forward to build yourself if you prefer.

Many other Qubes templates can also be built by following this procedure. Simply choose the appropriate builder(s) and template(s) you wish to build in the ./setup procedure below. Always include the mgmt-salt builder.

First, set up the Build Environment (follow the build environment section only).

Next, configure the builder:

cd ~/qubes-builder
./setup
# Select Yes to add Qubes Master Signing Key
# Select Yes to add Qubes OS Signing Key
# Select 4.0 for version
# Stable
# Select Current (if you want the option to use pre-built packages)
# Yes (we want to build only templates)
# Select fc29 and stretch (for the currently shipping templates)
# Select builder-rpm, builder-debian, template-whonix, mgmt-salt
# Yes (to download)

Once it completes downloading, re-run setup to add the Whonix templates:

./setup
# Choose the same options as above, except at templates select:
# whonix-gateway-14, whonix-workstation-14
# If prompted, choose Yes to add adrelanos's third party key

Continue the build process with:

make install-deps
make get-sources

You will often need to edit/update qubes-src/template-whonix/builder.conf at this stage to specify the currently shipping Tor Browser version. Open it in your favorite editor, then look for “Extra Whonix Build Options” and add/edit the WHONIX_TBB_VERSION variable to specify the current version. For example:

################################################################################
# Extra Whonix Build Options
################################################################################

# Whonix repository.
WHONIX_APT_REPOSITORY_OPTS ?= stable
#WHONIX_APT_REPOSITORY_OPTS = off

# Use turbo mode to build template
BUILDER_TURBO_MODE ?= 1

# Enable Tor by default (0: disable; 1: enable)
WHONIX_ENABLE_TOR ?= 0

WHONIX_TBB_VERSION ?= 7.5.2

You can add/edit the WHONIX_TBB_VERSION variable in ~/qubes-builder/builder.conf instead of this file if preferred.

Finally, use:

make qubes-vm
make template

Once the build is complete, the install packages for your newly built templates will be located in ~/qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-template-builder/rpm/noarch. Copy them from there to dom0 and install:

qvm-run --pass-io <src-vm> 'cat ~/qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-template-builder/rpm/noarch/qubes-template-whonix-gw-4.0.0-201802250036.noarch.rpm' > ~/qubes-template-whonix-gw-4.0.0-201802250036.noarch.rpm
qvm-run --pass-io <src-vm> 'cat ~/qubes-builder/qubes-src/linux-template-builder/rpm/noarch/qubes-template-whonix-ws-4.0.0-201802250145.noarch.rpm' > ~/qubes-template-whonix-ws-4.0.0-201802250145.noarch.rpm
sudo dnf install qubes-template-whonix-gw-4.0.0-201802250036.noarch.rpm
sudo dnf install qubes-template-whonix-ws-4.0.0-201802250145.noarch.rpm

And you are done!

This document was migrated from the qubes-community project
  • Page archive
  • First commit: 08 Dec 2020. Last commit: 08 Dec 2020.
  • Applicable Qubes OS releases based on commit dates and supported releases: 4.0
  • Original author(s) (GitHub usernames):
  • Original author(s) (forum usernames):
  • Document license: CC BY 4.0

Has anyone built this recently? I can’t manage to build a template that’s equivalent to the one distributed by the Qubes team. It pulls way more dependencies, creates users not on those templates, and is generally way bigger.

To test this, I went a step further and installed Whonix repositories on a Debian 12 minimal template, then tried installing a package with the same command that the qubes-builder uses.

Command used to install helper-scripts

apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::=--force-confnew --yes -o Acquire::Retries=3 -o APT::Install-Recommends=0 -o APT::Install-Suggests=0 install helper-scripts

This is installed in Whonix-Workstation-17, but pulls dependencies like ipython3 and tons more when I build it. All of which are not present in the official builds.

What am I missing / What is the configuration used to by the Qubes team?

Taking Whonix out of the question, do any Debian users know what I could look into to figure out why such dependencies are pulled and how to prevent it? (As it seems that has been done.)

I figured building from source, but that creates a .deb file that pulls the same unneeded dependencies.

Sorry for the ping, but @unman?