100MB + just to check for updates

This happens I think like each time I try to install something into the dom0 with qubes-dom0-update…
It says unable to detect release version (use ‘–releasever’ to specify release version) and then downloads first 70MB and then another over 40…
Do I need to specify a version? Like how… give me an example please

This behaviour is intentional by design. Repository cache is stored at /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates in the updatevm used for dom0. Even if you select a non-disposable netvm for dom0 update (which is sys-firewall by default), the cache is still stored in a location outside of qube’s persistent private storage volume and vanishes after you restart that netvm.

If you study /usr/bin/qubes-dom0-update within dom0 and /usr/lib/qubes/qubes-download-dom0-updates.sh, both are bash scripts and the clues are all there. If you want to make it persistent. But I am not going to post it here. It is against Qubes OS philosophy.

1 Like

I don’t want to change it if it’s against Qubes philosophy… I just thought there’s something I had to do or maybe missed…
Sorry but what exactly is this repository cache? why does it have to download 100+ MB each time? what is it downloading? I don’t have python or bash knowledge yet to run through these scripts

it’s downloading the package list, files they provide etc… from fedora repository. dom0 is meant to not cache it (for security reasons?), so it has to download it all over again before looking for packages operation involving the remote repository.

this is a waste of bandwidth, but that’s how it got implemented

2 Likes

Ah thanks! It makes sense… but I read yesterday I think there’s a sys-cache or something like that? Is that also work for this or is it something else like templates and so on?