Windows Tools Won't Download

Still not working

The command as you typed it here should work.
The “No Match” usually shows that you have typed the package name wrong.

If you run sudo dnf list |grep ^qubes-windows what is the output?

There was no output. I typed " `sudo dnf list |grep ^qubes-windows" into dom0 terminal and pressed enter and nothing happened. It just went to the next line.

I am sure I am typing the package name correctly. I wish I could cut and paste from the dom0 terminal so I could be sure and also show you the output, but I don’t think that’s possible.

Anyone have any ideas here on what I should do next? This is the one single thing I want to get done today: install Windows Tools. Any ideas?

No output means that the command completed successfully.
grep is a tool for searching for text.

You can copy from the dom0 terminal window as usual, and then use the
clipboard item in the panel (looks like 2 sheets of paper), to copy the
dom0 clipboard in to the Qubes clipboard.
Then you can paste it in to a qube, using the normal Crtl+Shift+V,
Ctrl+V combination.

1 Like
[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-windows-tools
Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
Qubes OS Repository for Dom0                    2.9 MB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00    
No match for argument: qubes-windows-tools
Error: Unable to find a match: qubes-windows-tools
[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-windows-tools
Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
Qubes OS Repository for Dom0                    2.9 MB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00    

still don’t know what to do

Neither do I - the command is fine, and works for me.

Try qvm-kill sys-firewall && qvm-start sys-firewall in dom0, then
sudo dnf clean all, and then again
sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-windows-tools

1 Like

Are Windows Tools already installed in Qubes 4.1 alpha?

Is that why this is going on?

I did what you said:

error: could not delete old database at /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/home/user/.rpmbold.4164

then it listed a bunch of different files it either uploaded or verified

No match for argument qubes-windows-tools
Nothing to downlaod
Fetching updates failed with code 1; press Enter to exit

I think it may have to do with the kernel or the alpha. I’m going to downgrade I guess? Goodbye 4.1 alpha, it was fun while it lasted.

This is the message I get:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-windows-tools
Qubes OS Repository for Dom0                    0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:00    
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'qubes-dom0-cached':
  - Curl error (37): Couldn't read a file:// file for file:///var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml [Couldn't open file /var/lib/qubes/updates/repodata/repomd.xml]
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'qubes-dom0-cached': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
Ignoring repositories: qubes-dom0-cached
[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-windows-tools

It also is saying:

Warning: Enforcing GPC signature check globally as per active RPM security policy (see ‘gpccheck’ in dnf.conf(5) for how to squelch this message)

it says this in the sys-firewall when it is trying to download the files.

Does this give you an ideas? I’d really rather keep 4.1 than go back to 4.0.

Anyone know what to do here?

I did try that command and it didn’t work.

Is this because I’m in 4.1 alpha? Is it because of a kernal version issue? Is it because of a signature issue?

I’m sure you have some guess?

If I reinstall 4.0, will that fix things or will I have the same issue?

Okay, about to reinstall 4.04. Here it goes.

If this doesn’t work, I’m going back to Cortana. The last time I spoke with Cortana, I said “Please don’t sell my web history to market products. This is a shared computer connection.” Cortana said “I’m sorry Jasmine, I can’t do that” or something like that.

Two days later, I almost got honor-killed when my father asked me why google was suggesting he buy a “Sorry Boys I Like Tacos” t-shirt. Luckily my father is a moron and I let him know that this was a cool new phrase that young people were saying to show how Holy and Devout they are.

So, 4.04 won’t load because of the processor.

Can whoever writes a program fixing this bug name a subroutine after me?

Call it “jasminen00b”

I’m going to go re-install Windows 10 now. :cry: :anguished: :anguished: :frowning_face:

Goodbye Secure Operating System, Hello Bing Knowing Every Secret and Personal Private Thought I Have and Selling It To The Highest Bidder.

I think this was the first mention of 4.1.
qubes-windows-tools aren’t in the repos for 4.1

I’m sorry you weren’t able to get Qubes working as you wanted.
Check back in a while when 4.1 is out of alpha, and all the features you
need are ready for use.
Not goodbye, but au revoir.

1 Like

Can someone put whatever windows tools is in super-alpha in the unstable repo?

I don’t care if it freezes, I don’t care if it barely works, I don’t care if my system shuts down every day, I just want to cut and paste and access usb.

There has got to be something you can put in the unstable repo.

I can’t have Cortana telling Bing to market things to my family. I could explain a strange t-shirt being marketed to them, but what will Bing show next? The Toy Joy Double Digger?

Please get this into the repo somehow, even if it barely works. I can’t go back to Cortana and Bing, I just can’t…

Look at this thread. You can build it from sources, test and tell about results.