Windows LTSC usb support

Hello, I’m new in the forum and in the qubes world, using Qube 4.0 since two weeks on a new laptop.
I really enjoy setting in up, and within the others i create a standalone vm with Windows LTSC 2019. I install in a second moment the qubes-windows-tools experiment and solve this issue

While I have problems with the screen resolution of the windows qube, I was surprised to see the usb devices connect to the qube inspite of what is written in the documentation, namely that it was not supported.
When I connect a usb device to windows qube, it detect some problem to it, but after the scan it work properly and without data los, for now.
Does it works just for me? Could be the LTSC version the cause?

I’m describing this to confront with other users, and maybe help anyone. I apologize if it’s something already known or some useless topic, as i say I’m newbie here.

1 Like

@GWeck this may be of interest to you, as I think you were on top of Qubes Windows Tools’s functionalities.

No need to apologize! Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

I checked now several configurations of Windows for USB connectivity:

• Qubes R4.0 with QWT 4.0.1.3 with PV network and disk drivers
    – Windows 7 SP1 Professsional template and AppVM: works
    – Windows 10 20H2 Professional template and AppVM: works

• Qubes R4.1 with QWT 4.1-65 without PV network and disk drivers:
    – Windows 7 SP1 Professsional template and AppVM: no connection
    – Windows 10 1909 Professional template and AppVM: no connection

• Qubes R4.1 with QWT 4.1-65 with PV network and disk drivers:
    – Windows 7 SP1 Professsional template and AppVM: works
    – Windows 10 1909 Professional template and AppVM: works

Just one funny symptom: On R4.1 with the PV drivers, the W10 AppVM cannot be shutdown regularly: The shutdown starts but never terminates, and the VM has to be killed.

So, for Windows 10 there is no need to pay M$ for an LTSC version! The Qubes documentation can be updated accordingly, which is a fine thing.

For R4.1, even the documentation about audio can be changed from a “-” to a “(+)”, but currently not to a real “+”, because the sound is very scratchy.

3 Likes

Thank you for your clear answer!
I’m glad we can add this functionality and that it’s for everyone and not just LTSC (which I wouldn’t suggest buying anyway, I didn’t).

Regarding the sound, I noticed that it only works if I put the device among the available services of the win-vm, but at that point it doesn’t work for the rest of the computer. Still, it’s good to know that there is a focus on these aspects with respect to the future.