Win 7 and Win10/11 under Qubes 4.2

What makes Win7 qube being able to get external storage drive attached in 4.2 (meaning Xen disk drive being able to be installed and qube still bootable), but not for Win10/11. In all three I have qwt 4.1.68.1-1 installed.

I’m not sure an exact answer, but 4.2 should be QWT-4.1.69 right? I’m not to familiar how backwards compatible QWTs are, but the install guide says .69 for 4.2

I tried .69 too but it didn’t work, so I tried to mimic win7 environment. To no avail again… So my conclusion it’s something with Windows version?

I have a fresh install of 4.2 with QWT…69 installed. I tested a couple different USB devices and both worked with a windows 10 home edition. Are you attaching it as a block data device or as a USB device? I can’t get it to connect as a block data device but it works fine if attached as a USB device.

1 Like

Tried both. It shows as attached in both cases, but can’t be found nowhere in disk management, nor explorer. Renesas drivers installed. It’s 4.1->4.2 upgrade. Didn’t try clean install so far…

Oh I see. I had a clean install. I believe these issues have some pertaining to you: #9102 and #8328

Because of the potentially compromised drivers in QWT the upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 appears to have several problems.

Thanks for the ideas. It turned out I already tried or read mentioned. So the only difference I see is in-place upgrade vs. clean install.

Still baffled with the original question - what makes Win7 with Xen PV disk drivers bootable, while Win 10/11 not?

Bump for anyone in the meantime got an idea?