Why one would use Qubes OS?

I use colors to mark security domains - I use the same colors
as backgrounds for my Activities, with rules to keep major qubes ties to
the right activity. It is obvious if something is out of place.
I believe there are many different ways of using colors - I think this
was included in one of the surveys but I dont remember the results ever
being reported.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
2 Likes

examples are of people who have a lot of resources, who can pay for a secure system. They don’t need qubes, honestly.

Unless they have in-house resources with the intelligence and grit to develop on top of OpenBSD for their company or a custom Linux distro with grsecurity patches, they are paying for an “endpoint protection” suite for Windows or MacOS which is almost always going to be snake oil. The former does exist, I have personally seen it. The latter is what happens 99% of the time with extremely high profile users, it’s rather sad really.

1 Like

If only you gnu how bad things really are…

This is the norm in a lot of places. To reverse this trend something not as frictionless but frictionless enough is needed.

1 Like

I use Qubes because I reasonably believe I have been targeted by a nation-state actor for being in the wrong place. The motivation isn’t enough to disappear me but enough to have some resources monitor me and disrupt my communications. Some of my new friends have very obviously been informants who I later found out agreed to be informants to get out of bogus drug possession charges. I have also caught people intruding on hotel rooms that others have booked for me. Then also in the counties in the area where I most recently stay, the requirements to become head of law enforcement are very lax. When these knuckleheads get elected they have access to very powerful tools. At the end of the day I just want to be left the hell alone and browse the web anonymously to the extent that I can do so. Linux’s approach to containers is still a total joke. So I use Qubes and OpenBSD in some places.

1 Like

Hi All, I’m a newcomer to Qubes OS coming from Ubuntu and I must say this is what I’m looking for. I use Qubes for privacy, security and most of all compartmentalization. I use it as my daily driver. Installation was easy, followed the guide and from there added apps that I need to do my work. Thanks and kudos to the developers and supporters of Qubes OS. :+1:

7 Likes

What kind of solution is available to the president of Boeing to buy? The IT takes an existing OS, configures it correctly, and maybe hardens it. The IT doesn’t have a new private operating system.

There is MacOS (that the president most likely will use), ChromeOS and Windows. The latter is not secure. ChromeOS is cloud based and won’t be vetted by IT. Linux is not sandboxed properly. Android has SeLinux, yet still has so many zero days that easily scape the sandbox. iOS is hacked by NSO group and similar every so often, even with zero click.

The options are hardened android and iOS, but they are not desktop operating systems, and their sandboxing with SeLinux is not as strong as virtualization. MacOS is the only option, which makes no sense for non-US corporate presidents!

Anyone has more information about what computers or laptops the CEOs of large companies use?

1 Like

No concrete information, but I’d guess the non-technical ones probably don’t do much hands-on computer work themselves and mainly direct their subordinates to handle such things. If they actually need to use a device themselves, their IT department probably sets it up (i.e., locks it down, makes it appliance-like) and shows them exactly how to use it to perform only the desired tasks. If new needs arise, the process repeats, starting with IT. I don’t see the non-technial CEOs of large companies taking time out of their day to fiddle around with new software on their own, like a hobbyist would. Technical CEOs who actually are hobbyists (or were before they got to their current position) are another story, though.

2 Likes

I have a lot of experience in the domain of corporate IT. Unless a non-technical executive personally knows someone who qualifies as “hacker” and technology bypasses typically only known by hackers are demonstrated to the non-technical user, they are blissfully unaware and don’t care. The exceptions are those who have personally suffered an intrusion. In a corporate environment 99% of the time the IT people involved aren’t qualified to actually protect anybody, they’ll install something with a McAfee brand or some “endpoint protection” suite and sing the tune “we have one of the top IT teams in the world”. The temperament of users who can barely use a computer but demand what they know is at the root of why China and Russia are endlessly siphoning off USA’s corporate and government data. Many in the technology space believe USA has already lost the next world war due specifically to executives not keeping bratty users inline or being brats themselves. Dishonesty is rampant in the corporate IT space both on the part of the users and the IT teams involved. Even when the IT teams are honest, their assumptions (that using Windows is somehow “okay”) are simply wrong.

Qubes has all of the necessary pieces in place that Qubes can be thought of as a “platform” to build something very easy to use on top of. Developing something a non-technical CEO (even one who is kind of a moron) can use and be reasonably safe is possible.

On a more positive note, I personally know non-technical users who sought out Qubes because they knew they were going to be targeted.

This is where GrapheneOS really shines. GrapheneOS might not protect against all exploits but will protect against many. Hopefully someone out there is testing if vulnerabilities uncovered in AOSP can also be exploited either at all or to the same extent on GrapheneOS.

1 Like

little about security, and very often dont care about technology.
I knew one CEO who made it a point of principle not to touch a computer

• why would they? That was what staff were for.
    Again, I knew another who always had the latest (and most expensive)
    kit. I never saw it used, at least not by them.

Most IT departments in major companies wont see Qubes as a solution imo

• there’s no training or certification, which is hugely important in the
    corporate world.
I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
1 Like

I am the guy that uses the computer a lot but knows very little about how it works, I learn how to use apps I find useful but have no desire to spend tons of time learning how the OS does what it does. That said I care very much about security, I don’t have anything to hide, I’m not engaged in shady activities but I don’t like having my online activities mined and or monitored, and I find censorship very distasteful.
I have used linux since the 90’s these days it is much easier and faster to install Mint than Windows I just don’t like Windows.
I realize that I do not have the ability to lock down a computer as I would like for it to be but I try, then I bumped into Qubes.
An operating system designed to be secure, yes I have to pull my hair out to get it working the way I want it to and a couple of things still don’t work but I am willing to compromise, change the way I use my computer and learn a new mouse trap if I believe it will harden up my security.
Once I got it working it has been rock solid, very few issues and the forum guys help me out when I need it, thanks guys, really thanks.
I’m sure I’m not a typical Qubes user but here I am.
I use Qubes because it is an OS designed to be secure out of the box to a level I am not capable of providing myself, yes it’s quirky but I have gotten used to how it works and I like it.

5 Likes

I’ve been using QubesOS now for about 8 months. I like the idea of compartmentalising parts of my work/ life in the same way I use different phones and numbers. It’s becoming more normal and the forum is a great help with any issues I’ve had learning on the way. I still think it’ll take a while to get rid of my iOS devices fully but that is the goal.

I do quite like the fact it’s not easy and is a process. Thanks to everyone I’ve had advice from.

1 Like

Is there a resource with the vocabulary?

Other than what is already mixed into the current technical documentation like this,

Blockquote
Meanwhile, a Hardware-assisted Virtual Machine (HVM), also known as a “Fully-Virtualized Virtual Machine,” utilizes the virtualization extensions of the host CPU. These are typically contrasted with Paravirtualized (PV) VMs.

HVMs allow you to create qubes based on any OS for which you have an installation ISO, so you can easily have qubes running Windows, *BSD, or any Linux distribution. You can also use HVMs to run “live” distros.

By default, every qube runs in PVH mode (which has security advantages over both PV and HVM), except for those with attached PCI devices, which run in HVM mode. See here for a discussion of the switch from PV to HVM and here for the announcement about the change to using PVH as default.

The standalone/template distinction and the HVM/PV/PVH distinctions are orthogonal. The former is about root filesystem inheritance, whereas the latter is about the virtualization mode. In practice, however, it is most common for standalones to be HVMs and for HVMs to be standalones. Hence, this page covers both topics.

source:

As that lays out the differences of
• HVM
• PV
• PVH

As example of how it is currently “mixed in” rather than an appendix or something too

So is there a place that just has these QubesOS vocabulary words? Or is it all currently mixed-in?

1 Like

Super easy backups, security through isolation, and heads compatibility. Whonix is a great feature too.

2 Likes

honestly i do not know. it sucks. in so many ways. it is very complicated to get into. but since i started using it i can not imagine going back to just monolithic systems anymore. being able to just create a new vm with just a few clicks to try something on a fresh machine without the need to worry about breaking anything is just awesome. and even though it is slow and complicated and all that i came to the conclusion that the things i want to do with computers are just simpler to do with qubes than with other operating systems. and it is very difficult to shake of the slightly scary feeling of doing something potentially stupid when opening my password manager on a device with direct connection to the internet.

3 Likes

In essence I only use an HVM if I have to.

So I forget about that one (or PV or PVH), and I focus on templates vs AppVMs, and whether the AppVM in turn is a disposable template, and whether the disposable is named or not. (And yes it’s unfortunately easy to confuse a disposable template with a templateVM.)

Another point of confusion is it can be hard to tell (until you learn the tells) whether clicking on an AppVM will open a disposable or not. And a named disposable will have its own distinct (and distinctive) entry in a menu, while a non-named one will not. I solved this by coming up with a naming convention; disposable templates for end in -dvmt (for disposable virtual machine template), named disposables end in -disp.

OK so here it is:

It helps to think of a computer’s file system as being divided into “user area” and “system area” The docs will tell you what locations exactly are in the two areas, but for a start /usr/bin (where software usually lives) is system, /home/user (where your data probably lives) is user.

A Template is basically intended to be a safe copy of a system area. Install software on it; the software goes into the system area. It does has a user area, but it’s of little use because the user area will NOT show up in AppVMs based on the template. A template will “remember” its own system and user areas from one startup to the next.

An AppVM when it’s not running basically ONLY has a user area. When you start it up, it makes a copy of the system area of the template it’s based on. So, when running it has both system and user areas. You can’t see the template’s user area from the AppVM, the one in the AppVM basically “overlays” it.

You can write to the system area on an AppVM, (provided you have the right permissions) but when you shut the AppVM down, those changes are lost. The next time you start the AppVM it has a fresh copy of the System Area from the template. Your user area, on the other hand, will “persist” the next time you run it. You can do whatever you want here and it won’t affect the template’s user area, just the one on the AppVM.

Now an AppVM might just be a disposable template. When a disposable is run, you get the Template’s system area, copied, and the disposable template’s user area, copied, and BOTH will go back to the way they were when you shut down the disposable.

Disposables come in two types: named disposables have the same name every time, and you can start them up like AppVMs. They will remain running until shut down. The unnamed ones are the ones named disp1234 or something like that; they only run until you shut down the program you started them with. For example if you click on a link in an email and it opens a browser in an unnamed disposable, the disposable shuts down when you close the browser. If it’s in a named disposable, it continues running after you shut down the browser.

OK hopefully that’s enough to get you started.

1 Like

Thank you
:pray:t3:
I bookearked this to review a few more times
:slight_smile: appreciated

Can’t live with it can’t live without it :rofl: I feel that. I’ve since gotten acquainted with KVM as well on my qubesless systems because of how easily Qubes re-wired my brain to think in virtual machines. Now everything in my house is a virtual machine and I love it.

The cherry on top of Qubes for me though is definitely netvm’s. I have too many netvm’s. You just can’t beat netvm’s.

1 Like

Totally agree. I have no fun using Qubes OS, but that the only OS that feels good enough to do sensitive work and allow experimenting.

1 Like

Like a love-hate relationship :blush: The thing I know is: I love its modularization feature even more than its security benefits.

1 Like
1 Like