Whonix and Tor?

When I installed this OS given the option to install Ubuntu and Whonix templets I clicked Ubuntu but not Whonix.
I have played with Tor in the past and found it to be painfully slow and behind a vpn even more so. Like sitting in a dentist care waiting for something to happen with white knuckles.
Does it work any better in this distro? Is the gain worth the pain I am not hiding from the CIA.
Can someone tell me why I want Whonix? I have Protonvpn of coarse I will have to figure out how to use it here, do I need both? If I just use one which one?
I just want Google to wonder if I finally died.
Do you guys want to answer questions like this?
I don’t want to wear out my welcome not just yet anyway. : )

I clicked Ubuntu but not Whonix

Pretty sure that was Debian. :wink:

played with Tor in the past and found it to be painfully slow
Can someone tell me why I want Whonix?

Please read this page.

I have Protonvpn of coarse I will have to figure out how to use it here

See this thread.

do I need both? If I just use one which one?

Again, the Whonix website has you covered.

I just want Google to wonder if I finally died.

Good luck with that! If you are serious:

1) disable JavaScript
2) block all cookies
3) use SearX

… it works much better than most will have you believe, but of course you’ll have some pain in getting particular websites to work allowing the minimum possible.

Do you guys want to answer questions like this?

Not here. The Qubes OS forum is for Qubes OS questions, while the Whonix forums are an excellent place for all the questions you posed.

After a while here you will reach “trust level 2” and then a new category will be available to you: “All Around Qubes” … this is where Qubes OS community members discuss topics of interest to users that related but not specific to Qubes OS… kinda like your questions. We do that to avoid having people join the forum just to chime in with their favorite topic without actually being Qubes OS users.

I don’t want to wear out my welcome not just yet anyway. : )

That takes a lot more than asking questions. Glad you are here!

1 Like

Go live in the woods, don’t show up on any satellite images, and don’t go anywhere with a camera or microphone ever again.