Where do I tell Qubes I renamed sys-whonix, so it doesn't break updates?

I renamed sys-whonix to something more useful (for me), and it broke the whonix-gw-16 template from updating DOH!

I seem to remember there is somewhere in dom0 you can manually change it. This is something I will actually change, from time to time, as I use different sources (usually private VPN’s) to update tor templates.

Thanks

It would be useful to tell which release you are using, but for 4.1 you’d like to check

/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy

as well as

/etc/qubes/policy.d/90-default.policy

For dom0 - in Global settings → qube defaults → Dom0 Update qube

3 Likes

Thanks, that was it!

You are welcome. You may want to flag the post as a solution so it could help other users too.

Great idea. I just looked around, don’t see an option to flag it as a solution. Do I edit the topic? add (solved) or something?

Thanks. it should be a checkbox next to the heart you flagged my post with.

I did flagged as “other” and sent a message asking if that’s how I flag as solved hah we’ll see

1 Like

Never mind, thanks for trying. Its under the post, not at the end of the topic

Only posts in “User Support” can be selected as solution. This is because a “General discussion” by definition can’t have a “solution”.

If the topic starts with “How do I …” and a “solution” is possible, those are very good indicators of something belonging in “User Support”.

Moved the thread to “User Support” and selected the appropriate answer as “solution”.

2 Likes

Each time when starting/shutting down a disposable whonix qube, qrexec-policy-agent error popup message appears:

Denied: whonix.NewStatus
Denied whonix.NewStatus+status from
dispXXXX to sys-whonix

The 50-config-updates.policy has correct(renamed) targets.
90-default.policy updated to:
qubes.UpdatesProxy * @tag:whonix-updatevm @default allow target=my-sys-whonix

But the error continue to pop up

whonix.NewStatus is different from qubes.UpdatesProxy

The whonix.NewStatus policy only works for qubes that have the “anon-vm” tag, so make sure your disposable template has it:

# from dom0
qvm-tags <disposable template name> add anon-vm

Yeah, checked it following this: Weird notification -- Denied: whonix.newstatus - #7 by qubes

qvm-tags dispXXXX as well as my-anon-whonix and whonix-workstation-17-dvm prints it has anon-vm

Do you still have a “sys-whonix” qube? It seems to be based only on the “anon-gateway” tag for the target, so it could be hardcoded to sys-whonix with no way to change it?

I’m not sure if this is possible, but you could try forcing the target to your custom named gateway in /etc/qubes/policy.d/80-whonix.policy with target= like this:

whonix.NewStatus     *         @tag:anon-vm      @tag:anon-gateway allow  autostart=no target=my-sys-whonix

As renamed one – my-sys-whonix

Tried that and:

whonix.NewStatus     *         @tag:anon-vm      my-sys-whonix allow  autostart=no

Without success.

• qvm-tags my-sys-whonix does have anon-gateway.

• renaming my-sys-whonix back to sys-whonix removes the error.

Well, it may involve more steps then. I found this github issue that explains exactly your problem, but nothing has been done about it for now:

Edit:

I checked sdwdate manually, it does hardcode the gateway name to sys-whonix.
You can check this in these files, for example:

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/sdwdate_gui/sdwdate_watcher.py
/usr/libexec/sdwdate-gui/notify-shutdown

They contain something similar to this:

## Fallback.
## If gateway is not configured in config file, use default.
## Non-ideal.
## qrexec feature request: send this over qrexec to the NetVM I am connected to / sys-whonix hardcoded / sys-whonix unexpected autostart #5253
## https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5253
## Networks VMs are restarting themselves without valid reason #5930
## https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5930
## HARDCODED!
gateway = "sys-whonix"
1 Like

The above is the workaround in case the gateway is not configured, as it says in the comments.

The correct way is to define the gateway in the /etc/dswdate-gui.d/50_user.conf

Without your help it would probably be very difficult for me to solve this.
Thank you.

1 Like