What would you like to see improved in Qubes OS?

@balko

Now it exists: GitHub - jamke/qubes-completion: Bash completion for Qubes OS

Why is that not part of the official Qubes OS?

1 Like
2 Likes

I hope it will be one day! Currently it has to be reviewed by the Team when they have time.
I use it everyday, you can try it, too.

2 Likes

There are obstacles to up dating that should be removed. Qubes updater sometimes gets hung up and no matter how long you wait it still doesn’t update.

sdwdate sometimes doesn’t synchronize as dependably as Tails htpdate.

Changing screen resolution and brightness is difficult. These can be adjusted in TAILS easily and dependably. Why not in Qubes?

5 Likes

Many is the time I’ve banged on the tab key while typing a qube name. So I’m looking forward to this getting adopted.

1 Like

Forgot a few more things:

• integrated patches for “quick boot” and fully ephemeral disposable Qubes
  • sensible centralized logging architecture
  • A FIX OR WORKAROUND for the nasty “control queue full” kernel bug
  • simplified non-NM liteqube-based netvm for wired-only connections
  • better automatic disk space allocation and better diagnosis of out of space issues (I hope you all understand what I mean)
  • “health monitoring” for service Qubes
  • “recovery installation” (repair a broken systems keeping VMs)
5 Likes

In no particular order:

• incremental backups with dedub Borg style
  • Synchronizing Desktop and Laptop Qubes System (Sync-AppVM zfs send?)
  • Installer option to use mirrored install (ZFS on LUKS2 support)
  • Qube Manager, right click a qube, and have an option to ‘launch terminal in qube’
  • pci device/vendor id passthrough to AppVM
  • Easier handling of HiDPI displays (and multi-screen multi-DPI setups)
  • Reboot all VMs option in Qubes Manager, instead of manually shutting down all AppVMs (after template updates are done, usually after boot), great if no Dom0 update was done.
  • When letting the installer create the default VMs, I would like the sys-* ones to be based on a minimal image.
  • More qube colors
  • Probably newer XEN kernel :smiley:
  • Easy switching for light and dark mode (darkmode default)
  • Easy mode setup wireguard / vpn during install
  • Qubes Farm / Network, many years ago i read that there was work being done to have qubes os on different devices controlled by a main qube, wonder what happened there.

Wanted to look into sys-gpu and where we are right now with qubes, so i cannot comment on that but i do miss my gpu speed. I bet will be needing 2 GPUs for that to work

2 Likes
  • seamless updated across versions so that there’s no need to reinstall Qubes OS after every major new version
  • easier and incremental backup
  • sleep on modern laptops
1 Like

seems a lot better in the coming 4.2

I think the new 4.2 will allow this from what I remember from the update GUI

in 4.2 it will be newer than in 4.1

4 Likes

If you have MUX switch and Nvidia dGPU, then you need to install Nvidia kernel and Xorg drivers into dom0 to make external monitor work.

1 Like

Qubes is amazing, but an ability to change tray icons, application icons and booting screen would make it more cool to customize :sunglasses:
Also there’s a huge issue with supporting new hardware… but I guess it’s due to finance/limited work force?

4 Likes

Since Qubes 2.4xx wants to update every day.

I wonder if we can make it easier to see what update(s) we have already accomplished, and those the thing wants to do.

The latest download of weekly 4.2xx (August 5,2023) has the templates set online. I
thought Templates were to install offline.

2 Likes

Start gnome-terminal (or other) from qubes manager. Every time print “gnome-terminal” in run command is annoying

1 Like

I used, Index of /qubes/iso/

but update Fedora 38, afterward, three days in a row?

it is like update did not set, I have updated.
Perhaps, I shut down computer after update, rather than shutting down the other Qubes, needed to be restarted first. I felt the power up would cover that.

1 Like

OpenBSD sys-net supported out of the box. Perhaps FreeBSD PVH that would behave basically like Fedora and Debian templates from QubesOS innards perspective but with FreeBSD kernel.

2 Likes
3 Likes

If it’s more secure to use OpenBSD for sys-net, maybe it should be the default then? Or is there some issues with it compare to the regular Fedora/Debian?

2 Likes

I had a similar issue, I used vlc from rpmfusion, there is currently a conflict between live555 pulled by vlc, between the Updates repository and rpmfusion-free, so the update process always had something to report, and Qubes OS thinks there is an update pending.

I didn’t find a solution so I removed vlc.

You could check in any fedora-38 VM what’s pending using dnf check-update

1 Like

– Incremental backups with the Qubes Backup tool.
Currently a backup of 100 GB of data in qubes from my system SSD to an external SSD takes an hour, and a lot of CPU power.

– Ability to change performance modes (power save, balanced…) from a GUI

– Make the Super key launch the application menu by default

– Bluetooth support, but disabled by default, with a warning message to users about the possible security risks of enabling it

I’d personally like to keep Xfce as default DE. I prefer KDE, but it gives me slightly lower total performance, especially during video playback. I’ve yet to test R4.2 to see if the newer KDE versions are lighter on CPU usage.

1 Like

You could use GitHub - alols/xcape: Linux utility to configure modifier keys to act as other keys when pressed and released on their own. to use super to do something just when typing on it.

In addition, for a more gnome style “super” key, you could use xfdashboard

1 Like