VMs snapshots for revert in time

How should I check that?
The only thing that I can see [using lvs] is that the origin of snapshot is the vm itself
If I’ll make changes to the vm, the origin from snapshot will disappear [after I’ll shutdown the vm]

Exactly - actually the origin will cycle back through the automatic
Qubes generated snapshots until the oldest is deleted, when the origin
will disappear. There should be a window in which these are useful
(e.g taking a snapshot of a live system).

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

I don’t understand what you are saying or what I should do :frowning:

I believe that he means “origin” will simply at one time become the snapshot of the current VM, in time, as you shutdown and restart. If there are only three snapshots, one will be current, the two others from sessions before the current. Then the current will become the second-newest and the oldest will be deleted, while the most recent session becomes the origin, and so on and so forth…

Oh I see. Thank you for explinations; more or less I get it now.
I have only one snapshot, deleted all other tries (snaphots) related with the vm in discussion (tried with other vms, of course) (so, whem I’m creating a snapshot for a VM, its the first and only snapshot)
The vm is a standalone vm (tried with other stanalone vms only)

But is it there something that I can do?

I ended have backup/restore working with wyng [not sure why first time didn’t work]

But I still would like to be able to do so w/o any tools

I thought of a simple solution although not highly efficient, but you could clone a given qube to make a snapshot of it. This will not scale well, but it is super easy to use.

If using a btrfs backend, deduplication could be achieved using the program bees to not waste disk space.

It is working the qube backup system [manually, using Qube Manager] but this is not helpfull as it will take good minutes to backup/restore

I would like something that will be as fast as it was with snapshots using virtualbox

The backup system (using Qubes backup tool) is different from making a clone from the Qubes Manager, but indeed both methods are slow.

Unfortunately, I do not think you have other options than the one listed in the thread.

Creating snapshots with lvcreate may be a much better solution … but I don’t know what exactly to do to make it working for me :frowning:

Oh, no

@tasket
I have again that error when restoring from wyng

VMs selected: ubuntu22-04
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/wyng-util-qubes", line 332, in <module>
    (q_wpriv_wrootmap[target][session][ii],
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^
KeyError: 'private'

it seems it appear only when I’m having multiple sessions/backups created

Of course I’m specifing what session I want to be restored … but still … same error :frowning:

As you are an active user of wyng now it seems, could you report the bugs on the github project? GitHub - tasket/wyng-backup: Fast backups for logical volumes & disk images

2 Likes