Tor without Whonix

Now I am even more intrigued and I remembered Joanna’s original article:

I’ll study that one more and try to replicate it. @unman is there
anything I need to pay attention to that is not covered in the above
article?

root@sys-tor:/rw/config# ./start_tor_proxy.sh
xenstore-read: couldn’t read path qubes_ip
./start_tor_proxy.sh: 6: [: X: unexpected operator
Mar 05 18:53:36.211 [notice] Tor 0.3.5.12 running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.8-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1d, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.4, and Libzstd 1.3.8.
Mar 05 18:53:36.211 [notice] Tor can’t help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning
Mar 05 18:53:36.212 [notice] Read configuration file “/etc/tor/torrc”.
Mar 05 18:53:36.214 [warn] Skipping obsolete configuration option ‘TransListenAddress’
Mar 05 18:53:36.215 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Unknown option ‘9040’. Failing.
Mar 05 18:53:36.215 [err] Reading config failed–see warnings above.
Error starting Tor!
./start_tor_proxy.sh: 23: echo: echo: I/O error
./start_tor_proxy.sh: 31: echo: echo: I/O error

… alright. Let the fun begin. :wink:

… I thought so.

… although I seem to be unable to reach qubes.i3sec.org

… because it’s 3isec.org duh

… and it is done! My understanding is that this used to be qubes-linux-tor, which was deprecated in favor of whonix. But @unman is keeping it alive as 3isec-tor. Many thanks!

Has to be said, I haven’t looked at that for a while, so cant guarantee
it in any way. I should check it against my own repo and push any
needed updates.
If you want a working Debian package, I can put one up if its not already there.

Note that Whonix is the officially endorsed solution for Qubes.
In my opinion, the project is trying to do far too much. But in any
case, Whonix is just not an option in a live Qubes system, where you
have to conserve space and RAM as far as possible. (I believe there is
a separate Live Whonix - I haven’t tried it and don’t know the state of
that project.)

1 Like

I was actually thinking about how to automate the building of the template. In this first iteration I went with your deb package from qubes.3isec.org … but I could also simply clone your repo and call make myself? … I’ll try

I’m pretty confident that Make wont work - but building a Debian package
will.

deprecated and removed.

Re: “depricated and removed”

I know you like to be brief, but for the sake of clarity: you mean the official qubes package, while you continue to host 3isec-tor – correct?

I understand the “so cant guarantee it in any way” part and that it’s my responsibility to understand what the code does and whether I’d like to use it.

1 Like

The one that’s there works fine – thank you!

Yes , I host
What I cant guarantee is that GitHub is up to date. The TorVM is fine.

1 Like

Hello @unman,

Thank you for critiquing my reply. It was illuminating and helped rectify some of my ignorance on these matters, as well as properly address the topic in a way fitting for a Qubes environment. I am still very new to Qubes OS, both technically and conceptually, and it is that to which I attribute my error.

Briefly, I will explain the basis for my impressions in the context of your reply. I attempted to avoid any assumptions about VM proxying or additional Qubes VMs because @Sven’s original question made no mention of them, instead only asking about a comparison between two VM configurations. Perhaps I interpreted the question and in particular “Tor” too narrowly as being within the debian-minimal VM, which is entirely the fault of me not “thinking with Qubes.” This is why I mentioned Torifying updates from within the debian-minimal VM, since the much more elegant solutions you provided involved a more “Qubic” approach, which admittedly is the correct one (especially on Qubes OS!).

I have no comments about the rest of your explanation, only gratitude that you provided it for all of us to learn from.

Thanks,
John

P. S. It appears I’m late to the party. I’ve been very busy this week, so haven’t had the time to reply. Apologies for that. I wanted to acknowledge unman’s contribution, which I think does a much better job at addressing the topic than mine does, but I see this post is rather superfluous at this point. My fault for not finishing the thread before posting. :sweat_smile:

Reporting back after a few days of use. The TorVM as provided through @unman works perfectly and with very few resources. Allow me to post the commands I used to setup the respective template:

• $1 = source template (e.g. debian-minimal)
  • $2 = resulting template
  • Assuming that you have retrieved and verified @unman’s public key and stored it under ~/.config/conf/unman.asc in dom0.
  • Assuming you use apt-cacher-ng, otherwise replace the ‘http://HTTPS///’ with a simple ‘https://’

qvm-clone $1 $2
qvm-copy-to-vm $2 ~/.config/conf/unman.asc
qvm-run --pass-io -u root $2 “apt-key add /home/user/QubesIncoming/dom0/unman.asc && rm -Rf /home/user/QubesIncoming”
qvm-run --pass-io -u root $2 ‘echo “deb [arch=amd64] http://HTTPS///qubes.3isec.org/4.0 stretch main” | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/3isec-stretch.list’
qvm-run --pass-io -u root $2 “apt update && apt install --no-install-recommends qubes-core-agent-networking 3isec-tor -y”
qvm-shutdown --wait $2
qvm-features $2 qubes-firewall 1

I don’t know the discussion and arguments that lead to deprecating and removing qubes-linux-tor, but I wish it would continue to be officially maintained and provided as an alternative to those who would like to use it. Luckily, we have @unman – thanks again!

Update (3/14/21): the torproject signing key is also needed and must be added the same way unman’s key is. I found it rather challenging to verify the key. Here is the one I am using (hoping it’s the right one):

pub rsa2048/EE8CBC9E886DDD89 2009-09-04 deb.torproject.org archive signing key
Primary key fingerprint: A3C4 F0F9 79CA A22C DBA8 F512 EE8C BC9E 886D DD89

2 Likes

@unman would it be possible in a future version to include the torporject.org signing key in your deb package? That way one has to only find and verify your key.

1 Like

hi @unman,

is 4.0 stretch still the repo to use for your TorVM?
doing a test install now in debian-10-minimal, but wondering if there is an update, or a plan to move it into 4.1 repos on qubes.3isec.org
thanks!

TorVM build is running successfully thanks to both @Sven and @Unman. Thanks!

However, it is running an outdated version of tor and I don’t know how to make it current without breaking the 3isec-tor package. Or, is it safe to be on an older version of tor?

Any help would be appreciated

If you’ve installed the 3isec-tor package that will have configured the
official Tor repository.
The next update will pull the Tor package direct from Tor, bringing you
up to date.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.

When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.

ok i see-- by default the tor sources list created on installation of 3isec-tor was set to ‘stretch main’ as well.
tried changing that to ‘bullseye’ and it then reported an upgrade available, but wouldn’t install due to dependency issues in debian 10.
ran the same process in a debian-11-minimal template, and i am now on the latest version of tor.

excellent. thankyou!!