Tor browser update in disposable VM

How do yall update the Tor browser in the disposable VM? It was working fine before when I just used the Qubes Updater to update the Whonix Gateway and Workstation templates. Now it doesn’t seem to stick, everytime I open up the disposable whonix vm now it just downloads the Tor browser update and doesn’t keep it for next time. How are yall updating because I don’t think you’re supposed to update it through any terminal or the “Tor browser downloader”

@anon3066456:

I don’t think you’re supposed to update it through any terminal or the “Tor browser downloader”

That is exactly how you are supposed to do it in the whonix-ws-16 template.

1 Like

What about just doing it through the Qubes Updater? It was working before now it won’t update it through there anymore, or the update won’t stay. Anyways thanks I’ll try that

Recently updating correspondent template, by following procedure here

No issues with Tor Browser so far.

1 Like

This is the first I hear of this - very good to know.

My take away is that Tor Browser version will not necessarily be up to date by exclusively using Qubes Update, so when you notice a notification in Tor Browser that an update is available, you run Template: whonix-ws-16 > Tor Browser Downloader.

Is this understanding correct? I just want to verify that updates are basically manual for Tor browser in whonix-ws, UNTIL tb-updater is updated in the repository at which point it would be handled by Qubes Update?

Yeah that’s exactly what he said and it seems to have worked for me too. Just weird because before when I needed to update the Tor Browser the Qubes Updater did it for me. And make sure you only run it in the default VM template and not the disposable VM template.