The economic needs of the Core Qubes Dev for investment 'donation' pitching?

I’m starting this discussion to better understand as the title states, what are the economic requirements of the core dev team?

Knowing this may help those in the community who have access to private investors to pitch investors on moving funds to qubes dev, to attain the correct amount of funding needed to invigorate r4.1 for faster release.

Could @adw chime in on this, as you seem to have broad knowledge about Qubes, not just having specific specialization in certain slices of the project.

Could we the community have concrete numbers of what current revenue is doing for the speed of development happening now and what sort of numbers would be needed to release 4.1 as quickly as humanly possible? Of course all while taking into account the limits that complexity introduces on even the best human minds, but how well funded agile teams overcome such complexity and deliver faster.

I am sure there are many of us that have access to individuals who lead groups and companies that would greatly benefit from Qubes deployment and training in such enviroments. I’m sure many of us have never thought about pitching these leaders who would be able to invest at a moments notice what is required not just to ignite faster development of Qubes, but to fund it for better support and trainings that would lead to expert adoption in their own environments.

Knowing these numbers would help us understand current funding limitations that may be leading to delayed release and minimal support and lack of training modules. This new shared awareness I believe would lead to many more in the community to be able to go out into adjacent industries they’re apart of and have influence in, to approach liquid high net worth leaders in these fields to easily redirect funds.

More funding could also lead to our own in-community Ambassador Training Modules. Since we’re all basically ambassadors of this project, it would likely be beneficial to have trainings available on how to research high net worth individuals and groups who have the needs and problems that Qubes solves. Such modules could teach ambassadors how to easily and confidently pitch the cost savings and value gains for switching to qubes and why its smart to redirect funds away from areas such a band-aiding Windows with outsourced cybersecurity. With such trainings and knowing the economic requirements would also give ambassadors the tools they need to find and connect funder teams with those who can support new deployments. All this knowledge would benefit everyone involved including the down stream end users who aren’t in a position to invest but use Qubes everyday for human rights purposes.

I know that when most think of investments and donations or contracts, they’re unaware that there are many investors who are willing to invest or fund or grant, without interest and without needing to control anything. There are many investors and high net worth individuals that merely invest for social and humanitarian reasons, for their own enjoyment. They don’t want anything more then to feel good. So don’t worry about high interest VCs, grubby bankers or non-foresight having stockholders such as those that short Tesla and try to berate Tesla to prop-up non-electric vehicle manufacturer unions at not only a disgrace but a disservice to humanity.

There are many globally who have 10s of millions and more who merely enjoy spending on things that bring them enjoyment by knowing they contributed to something that is of great benefit to humanity. This is what an in-community Ambassador training program could help with. By teaching anyone on how to find and pitch such philanthropists and humanitarians in their circles, getting Qubes all the funding it would ever need to become the standard that humanity so desperately needs right now.

Hoping for a lively discussion on the matter.

-G

1 Like

First, thank you for your concern about the project’s financial health. The team understands your concerns, and it’s also a topic of conversation internally. I know that we have some funding options that will probably come online in the mid-term future, but I’m not at liberty to speak about them, and I don’t really know any details about them other than their existence/possibility and general nature.

I actually do not know much about the particular funding needs of the dev team. For example, I have no idea how much anyone else gets paid, what the overall budgets are, or how much money the project receives, aside from publicly-accessible info that everyone can see. In other words, I don’t have access to private accounts, internal financial records, or anything like that. For that sort of thing, @marmarek or MiCh might be a better person to ask.

3 Likes

hi @anon93834559, it sounds like you have a particular expertise / knowledge of potential funding opportunities for the team? and a particular community you think might be interested?

maybe you can email me (michael@qubes-os.org) and you can be more specific about what you think would be helpful, and what you imagine is possible? and I’ll/we’ll try to help out as much as we can.

and that is an open invitation to anyone in the community to email me if you think you may have funding leads, work at a company potentially interested in being a Qubes Partner, etc.

as @adw mentioned your larger questions are not particularly simple/easy to answer – we want the core development team to be able to work full-time on Qubes OS, and the more funding we get the more this becomes possible. anyways I’m interested in understanding better your proposal, and thanks for your interest in the project’s sustainability!

4 Likes