Temperature going through the roof

Qubes 4.0, Lenovo X270

Sometimes my CPU temperature goes to 90 C although the qubes OS has not much to do. If shutting down the responsible domain the temperature goes down again. The same if I pause the domain. After a while I found out that it only happens if not the first firefox browser tab is activated. In other words, if I make sure that always the first firefox tab is activated (and not the 2nd, 3rd …)before switching to another domain then I don’t run into temperature issues, but if I forget the machine is getting pretty hot. I tried it dozens of times in the meantime and always the same. Anyone having similar issues or is this a known bahavior or bug?

No, this is weird, poissbly one of your firefox addons going havoc.

But anyway 90 C under load indicates that your heat pipe either requires cleaning or some new cooling lotion.
Most CPUs shut down at 95 C to avoid permanent damage.

1 Like

I think the X270 has a Skylake with Intel HWP. This is a non-trivial fix and might not even work, but you could try installing R4.1 and then building the experimental HWP patches. They made a huge improvement for me in thermal management with my i5-8365U.

Discussion on Qubes Issues, with patchset built against Xen head: CPU Frequency Scaling Broken · Issue #4604 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Patchset for Xen 4.14.1, used in R4.1: qubes-vmm-xen/patch-xen-pstate.patch at hwp · dmoerner/qubes-vmm-xen · GitHub

1 Like

I’m also having this problem with high temperature on my X270, always above 60°C and reaching 90°C during startup and playing video. I have not seen the same high temperature values when booting into CentOS Stream 8 and heatsink is clean. I’m using Qubes 4.1 installed after its release (kernel 5.10.90 and Xen 4.14.3). Processor is a i5-7300u Kaby Lake, so it supports HWP.

Just wanted to check if this patch has evolved into a package to make it easier to test if HWP would allow operating at lower temperatures.

Probably your thermal paste is too old or there’s too much of it on the CPU.

Anyway it’s not a Qubes issue and your CPU generally should be able to cope with heat at 100% load. CentOS doesn’t start 3+ virtual machines on boot.

Are you using the intel i915 display driver?

When I installed Qubes on my x270 it didn’t come with xorg.conf and was using a generic display driver.

Thank you for the suggestion. I added the intel i915 driver for the xorg.conf.d according to the following post and it seems that the temperature is not as high as before.