Teams audio not working

A USB headset (no sys-usb present) is connected and recognized in dom0 as seen by lsusb

However in Teams devices: Qubes VCHAN sink pipes to the monitor instead of the headset.

Two options:

1. assign headset to the qube that runs teams using qvm-usb
  2. assign the USB controller the headset is plugged into to the qube that runs teams using qvm-pci

Make sure your ‘user’ is added to the group ‘audio’ in the template the teams qube is based on.

(2.) is obviously only an option if you have multiple USB controllers, while (1.) might give you audio issues (or not, you should try).

Maybe there is a way to make pulse audio in dom0 recognize and use the USB audio device, but I don’t know how to do that. Maybe we can both learn something from this thread. :wink:

Agreed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Let us look at (2.) first: in Qube Settings / Devices, the Audio controller is visible but cannot be moved to Selected:

ERROR: Can't attach PCI device to VM in pvh mode

under Troubleshooting, I have not been able to find any information on it.

You need to change your qube virtualization mode to HVM instead of PVH in Advanced tab in Qube Settings to be able to attach PCI devices.

You mean the USB controller … right? Moving the audio device won’t help with a USB headset but it will make dom0 and all other qubes loose sound. Not what you want I think.

I made the change to HVM in the app-cube resulting in:

You've enabled dynamic memory balancing...

and moved under Devices:

Audio device> Intel ... HD Audio Controller

The Headset is plugged in on USB but I do not have (want) a dedicated sys-usb cube:

qubes-audio-error

Not the audio controller. Please read what I wrote previously.

How many USB controllers do you have?

qvm-pci | grep USB

If it’s just one, you can forget about option (2).

My mistake, let us go for solution proposal (1.):

dom0:00_14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller

then in dom0:

qvm-usb --list-device-classes
pci
usb

How would the qvm-usb command to assign the device look like?

Also, is this right command in dom0 to an audio group that needs to be created first?
sudo usermod -a -G [group-name] [user-name]

Since you have only one USB controller if you attach it to your qube just to use USB headset there then you won’t be able to use USB devices in other qubes or in dom0. And if you have USB keyboard/mouse then you’ll be locked out from your system.
It’d be better to create USB qube and attach just USB headset to your qube instead of a whole USB controller:

let us go for solution proposal (1.):

Excellent.

How would the qvm-usb command to assign the device look like?

First of there is of course the super easy GUI way of doing it. In your tray you have the ‘Qubes Devices’ icon. Click it, select the USB headset and then in the sub-menu that pops up, select the qube you run Teams in (it must be running already to show up here).

Now if you want to use qvm-usb you can. qvm-usb --help will show you how. Look for attach and use the device ID of the headset, which you can see by simply running qvm-usb without any parameters.

Also, is this right command in dom0 to an audio group that needs to be created first?
sudo usermod -a -G [group-name] [user-name]

Yes.

sudo usermod -a -G audio user

(don’t forget to do this in the template!)

qvm-usb list does not show any output in dom0 for me.

But through the tray, I can assign the microphone (speaker seems to be not necessary). However, it is not working in Teams through both

Qubes VCHAN source
Monitor of Qubes VCHAN sink

Should I create a bug report?

Would you still recommend this or can I go just with the Tray Devices assignment?

Perhaps, I should note that the PCI Audio device (HD Audio Controller) - although connected via USB - does not appear as an USB device in the Tray manager.

It is certainly also interesting that on a Laptop w/ QubesOS, a simple mouse click in the Tray and assigning the USB devices suffices to have the Headset recognized in Teams and works flawless.

The task now to find out where the differences to the Workstation w/ QubesOS discussed here is.

The Tray device manager sees:
Audio devices
USB devices

Audio devices assignment has never worked for me. The question is why I do not see the Headset as a USB device on the Workstation. Any ideas?

Here is a summary of my notes on the current status of the investigation that may help to resolve the issue on the Workstation that I still have whereas on the Laptop all works fine:

**laptop**
status
    USB KT headset works fine
qube settings
  PVH
qvm-usb # headset plugged in
  sys-net:2-2    KTMicro_KT_USB_Audio_2020-02...
procedure
    start cube
    go to device manager
        assign USB KT Headset
        assign dom0:mic
qvm-pci
dom0:04_00.0  VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Lucienne                                         
dom0:04_00.1  Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]                                                               
dom0:04_00.2  Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor  
dom0:04_00.3  USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir USB 3.1                                             sys-net
dom0:04_00.4  USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir USB 3.1                                                  
dom0:04_00.5  Multimedia controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor           
dom0:04_00.6  Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller                   

**workstation**
status
    USB KT headset not visible in device manager and not working
qvm-usb # headset plugged in
  nothing
qube settings
  HCM
procedure
    start cube
    ???
qvm-pci
dom0:00_1d.0  PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H PCI Express Root Port #9                   
dom0:00_1f.0  ISA bridge: Intel Corporation                                                         
dom0:00_1f.3  Audio device: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H HD Audio Controller                      
dom0:00_1f.4  SMBus: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H SMBus Controller                                
dom0:00_1f.5  Unknown: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-H SPI Controller                                

dom0:01_00.0  VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]            
dom0:01_00.1  Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller               
dom0:02_00.0  Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp                                          
dom0:03_00.0  Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Black NVMe SSD                        
dom0:05_00.0  Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V                     sys-net
dom0:06_00.0  Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Black NVMe SSD

Apologies, if I missed anything from the conversation above not being able to resolve it on my own.

Any proposals / ideas to try and replace ??? from above? Should we give up?