Tailscale issues on 4.2

Well… I am out of ideas. I made a new sys-tailscale using the template that works for my working sys-tailscale. I did everything the same way as the working one, and triple checked it. And the login is not persisting across reboots. So crazy, I thought for sure it would work when I used the working template.

Check the content of the files configured in your working sys-tailscale bind-dirs. Specifically the /etc/default/tailscaled. Try to copy /etc/default/tailscaled from your old sys-tailscale to the new sys-tailscale. Maybe there is some non-default configuration in these files that is not in the newly created sys-tailscale.

Sorry about the delay, work was very busy the rest of the week.

I just checked the directories you mentioned and tried copying. I found that /var/lib/tailscale has a file and a directory that persist in my working sys-tailscale, but not in my non-working one. The directory is bound in both, and I copied the bind-dirs conf directly over. A file named derpmap.cached.json does not persist. And the directory /var/lib/tailscale/files does not persist, even though /var/lib/tailscale is bound. In the files directory it has my authentication it looks like. The only file is named for my username with the service I use to authenticate tailscale with. I added that directory to bind.dirs even though it is a sub directory of a /var/lib/tailscale that is already bound just to see if that would do it, but the file and directory are missing on reboot.

At this point I am about 99.99% certain that the issue is that /var/lib/tailscale is not persisting even though it is bound in /rw/config/qubes-bind-dirs.d/50_user.conf

Any idea why that might be or what I could do to remedy it?

Do you have the /var/lib/tailscale directory in bind-dirs?

ls /rw/bind-dirs/var/lib/tailscale

No, I have it in my /rw/conf/qubes-bind-dirs.d/50_user.conf file. I did not realize that was an option to have it that way. To I just create that directory? Or copy the existing directory over to that path?

I am checking now if it is like that in my working sys-tailscale

Well, evidently I knew I was supposed to do that at some point because it is under there in my working sys-tailscale. Or is that done by the conf file?

You need to create this directory manually for bind-dirs to work:

sudo mkdir -p /rw/bind-dirs/var/lib/tailscale

It’s described in docs:

1 Like

OK, I did that, and I rebooted, and it persisted. /rw/bind-dirs/tailscale is still there, and the sub directories within it are there, all of it is there as it should be. But tailscale login did not persist. Checking /var/lib/tailscale it is missing the derpmap file and the files directory

I just ran diff on one of the files that persisted with the one under /rw/bind-dirs and they have different content

Did you create /rw/bind-dirs/tailscale or /rw/bind-dirs/var/lib/tailscale?

Try to login again and see if it’ll create files in /rw/bind-dirs/var/lib/tailscale that will persist after reboot.

/rw/bind-dirs/var/lib/tailscale

I am going to start fresh on a new sys-tailscale to make sure I don’t have any mistakes left over messing me up. Hopefully this will do it

Good news! I have a working new sys-tailsale. Thank you for all the hlep, I guess I forgot a whole lot of steps since the last time I did this. That being said, this guide is totally wrong: Tailscale
Should I update it with the right way to do this?

Yes, it’d be nice if you did it.

What is the proper way to do that within the community guidelines?

Do you have the Edit button at the end of the first post?

yes, I have that button

Then you can just edit it directly.

OK cool, thank you again for walking me through this. I appreciate the time you took to help me out