Stupid Question: NetworkManager Not Latest Version, How to Update

My networkManager is 1.22 or something like that.

How do I update it?

I’ve run the Qubes Updater GUI app several times, but still at same version.

What am I missing?

how do you know that is not the lastest version

In the Qubes documentation, it refers to higher versions than this. A basic check of documentation shows it

What template are you using?
It may be that 1.22 is the latest version available in that template (e.g
debian-11 has 1.20 in main repos)

in the documentation for network mac randomization, it says to make sure you have network manager 1.4-something. The version is a lot higher than 1.2-something.

My templates are Fedora 34 and Debian 10. Network Manager is being generated through a disposable Fedora34 template.

Anonymizing your MAC Address
============================

Although it is not the only metadata broadcast by network hardware, changing the default [MAC Address](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address) of your hardware could be [an important step in protecting privacy](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/MAC_address/#index1h1).
Currently, Qubes OS *does not* automatically "anonymize" or spoof the MAC Address, so unless this gets implemented by default you can randomize your MAC Address with the following guide.

## Upgrading and configuring Network Manager in Qubes

Newer versions of Network Manager have options for randomizing MAC addresses, and can handle the entire process across reboots, sleep/wake cycles and different connection states.
In particular, versions 1.4.2 and later should be well suited for Qubes. Qubes R4.0's default sys-net should have 1.8.2-4 by default.  
However, use of the NetworkManager GUI to set these options is **unreliable** - there are numerous reports of changes not being saved for particular cards or interfaces.
You should check carefully that any settings you make in the GUI are saved, before relying on this method.
If the settings are not saved, you can use the method described below using a config file.

Network Manager 1.4.2 or later is available from the Fedora 25 repository as well as the Debian 10 repository.

Check that Network Manager version is now at least 1.4.2:

I’m not understanding why I don’t have this version and when I reboot, the request MAC randomization is gone.

Is this because it’s disposable? Is it disposing of the MAC settings too?

I am trying to follow the instructions in here and can’t edit the Fedora 34 template to alter Network Manager. I have gone to terminal and done sudo su, but them I’m not sure how to run file manager

nevermind its nautilis

@qubesn00b you need to add /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-macrandomize.conf in your template (Fedora 34).

1 Like

There seems to me to be a fundamental misunderstanding here.

Those versions are 1.21.X or similar.
This is a lot higher than 1.4.X

This sort of version numbering identifies:
major - 1
minor - 21

The versioning is not 1.2-something, it is 1.21.-something

1 Like

Yes

1 Like