Sorry, but this forum software is awful

OK, I checked the spambot logs and you got unlucky and two of your posts got hidden and went to the review queue. Both got reviewed within 24h and were reinstated. Sorry about that! Bad bot! But so far, nothing else has happened. And since you’re now in trust level 1 this should never happen again. You got unlucky, that’s all.

2 Likes

However, from what I understand you’re saying, you can counter this using a website that has numbers that aren’t blocked?

That’s correct. The way those services filter and block these disposables is on basis of them being VoiP (a digital phone if you’d like, such as what call center uses).

if we’re gonna be subtle about it, the service in question has a yellow branding, is quite expensive (around $25 USD per number and I forgot how long it lasts for)

I would advise you to google ‘non-voip sms verification’ to find one that has low pay-per-use fees. Within the first page you will see some that have 90%+ success rate and they cost a few pennies a number. Number will be rented to you personally for a few mins so you may complete the verification.

I do agree with the promise of the principle behind the email issue you raised. Perhaps we can consider implementing changes in a not so distant future, from what I gathered so far that’s why this community is awesome.

1 Like

You can still do 1 and 3.

As to 2, you were unlucky, it didnt take long for me. For login in it is different, you can use proton’s onion address quite easily for example, it obviously doesn’t block exit nodes.

As to 4, you can have your own email, with your own custom domain completely annonymous, that’s the only way I use mine. Just get a cheap domain with crypto or even cash in some cases!

1 Like

I won’t be surprised when I’m unlucky.

When you register for a Proton VPN account first, that does not require any verification, you get Mail account created automatically. :wink:

click “like”

… but the content is beautiful…

But you have to pay for the VPN. And any financial transfer over the net is gonna have your identity tied to it somehow, unless you mined the crypto yourself and paid via Monero using a tumbler.

No, you can use the VPN for free.

1 Like

When you actually go and try you will find you can register for Proton VPN for a free account without a single transaction.

Yes, Discourse forums are terrible.
Yes, it’s easy to get a burner E-mail.
But what nobody else seems bothered by, is that this site requires JavaScript.

Email doesn’t require JS

1 Like

Depends on the E-mail, Proton does. But I take your point. Still, for all practical intents and purposes, you cannot really use this forum without ever signing up/in. And I see no reason, why there could not be a non-JS version.

And I see no reason why I shouldn’t be able to send messages to the forum using carrier pigeons.

Using the forum is not a requirement to use Qubes, you don’t need to use Proton to use the forum, you have options to not use JS.

I’m sure you will find a way to use the free wifi at McDonald while wearing a Mickey Mouse mask to anonymously set up the account.

Oh dear, did I strike a nerve? Sounds like its been too long since you reviewed the CoC

For all your worthless bellicosity, the fact remains that you need JS to register and view the site, which is unacceptable for the support forum of a medium which is nothing more than a shell for Whonix to run in.

You don’t need to use the forum, you can use email.

You don’t need to use the forum, it’s really that simple.

1 Like

Ah yes, of course, you ban me repeatedly when you get caught breaking your own rules, all of these to be precise:

Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:

• Using welcoming and inclusive language
  • Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
  • Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
  • Focusing on what is best for the community
  • Showing empathy towards other community members

Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:

• Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
  • Reinforcing stereotypical models for illustration of non-technical users (e.g. our mothers/grandmothers, etc.)
  • Public or private harassment, as defined by the Citizen Code of Conduct
  • Other conduct which could reasonably be considered inappropriate in a professional setting

You deride constructive criticism with stereotypy instead of accepting it gracefully.

No, it is a requirement of using Qubes’ support forum.

No, but you do need to use an E-mail.

No, you don’t. Not for accessing the forum.

And again you try and deride constructive criticism with stereotype, because you cannot stomach one iota of instrospection.

And then in what can only be described as targeted harassment, you ban me repeatedly for not licking your jackboots over the above.

What’s next? You gonna start doxxing me or making sexual advances in order to complete your checklist of broken rules?

@inconspicuous never told Qubes is awful, or the content of the forum is awful, that should be recognized. On the contrary, he wants to participate since he most probably finds it more than helpful to be here.
What he doesn’t like is beyond of what Qubes team (mods or whoever) can change, and he’s aware of it I believe.
If he wants to get help he needs to login, and for that JS is needed.
Reading forum not logged in and then participating via email is cumbersome but is a way to overcome his other way legit objection on Discourse.
Participating via email in his case is to rather be considered as a workaround, not a way someone would want to protect his security and privacy.

And most important: he doesn’t expect @deeplow or someone else to make Discourse to change this, that is my impression.

1 Like

Related thread:

1 Like

No, it doesn’t, to read.
To participate, use email, as said.

1 Like

As a related by-the-way, @unman, I remember you and I got into quite a comedy of errors, because I was using edits to go back and alter posts as I figured things out…and email users like yourself do not see the edits!

This is a very important thing to know and remember, but step one would be: to be able to tell who is an e-mail user! Is there some way to do this? I know sometimes you have a signature line (about not presuming to speak for the Qubes team); it might help in your case to add “I am an e-mail-only user. If you reference me in a reply, please do not edit it later; I won’t see the edits” (or something like that). Reference any other way people have managed to muck things up through not realizing your situation, too.

Step 2, of course would be to educate “regular” users on how different the experience is for e-mail users (and vice versa). And unfortunately I have no idea how to do that other than painful experience!

2 Likes