Setting Up Multiple Whonix Connections

Without getting into a discussion over the pros and cons of Tor, Tor over VPN, VPN over Tor, one of the things that I’m trying to do is set up 2 types of disposable qubes: one which would connect directly over Tor through the default sys-whonix qube by having sys-whonix connect through sys-firewall, and the second to connect to Tor over a vpn by having a sys-whonix clone connect to a vpn qube, that in turn then connects to sys-firewall.

I’ve tried just making a clone of sys-whonix and then a clone of the whonix-ws-16-dvm default qube, and setting the clones up as the “over vpn” option, and I’ve also tried cloning the ws vm, gw vm, sys-whonix vm, and the whonix-dvm appvm, and setting those clones up with the default disposable of each set to the clone and connecting sys-whonix-clone to the vpn vm and then sys-firewall.

Anything that I’ve tried ends up not quite working. I’ve tried each with all qubes shut down, to see which boot. Opening Tor browser in the default whonix-ws-16-dvm qube will launch sys-net, sys-firewall, sys-whonix, and then Tor browser in a disposable whonix-ws-16-dvm vm, just as the default setup does it.

When I attempt to launch Tor browser through my Tor-over-vpn clones is where I run into trouble. sys-net launches, then sysfirewall, then my vpn-vm, then sys-whonix-clone (this is the clone set to connect through the vpn vm first, rather than directly to sys-firewall). Then a disposable qube starts with my whonix-ws-16-dvm-clone vm. So far, so good. When the Tor browser launches though, the default sys-whonix vm is then launched as well. This leads me to believe that the disposable that is supposed to be connecting to Tor-over-vpn via sys-whonix-clone>vpn-vm>sys-firewall>sys-net is possibly instead acting as direct Tor via sys-whonix-clone>sys-firewall>sys-net.

Hopefully this makes sense as an explanation, and I’d welcome all help. My apologies if this is a topic already covered, but I couldn’t find a discussion that addressed this issue specifically.

I’d try from cloning whonix-ws-16 template, via creating new dvm template from the cloned template, and then new sys-whonix-clone. I’ve experienced similar issue when tried to create offline dvm templates by cloning networked dvm templates and then removed netVMs, which didn’t help. Starting from the scratch as described above actually helped me.

If not, then it’s probably that whonix’s TB specifically asks for sys-whonix, and that is Whonix specific issue for which you have to ask for help on their forum, as Patrick recommends (is him still on this forum, anyway? Can’t seem to tag him.)