Screen lock doesn't always work and mouse offset issues with R4.1

1. When screen locked the screen unlock window doesn’t always show and instead it’s showing the desktop.
  2. when moving between desktops, the mouse inside the windows points in a big offset. Only fixed when moving the window.

this is not the place for bug report
if you want to, go to Issue tracking | Qubes OS

1 Like

It’s fine to report Bugs here in the Forum.
In many cases it’s better because we can dig in and then provide a
full issue report on GH.
There’s a specific tag for this -
User support - 4.1

@MitchJ Thanks for the report.
What version of 4.1 are you using? Have you updated it?

1. What screen locker are you using? Does this mean that you get right
    to the desktop without entering password?
  2. I’m not clear what you mean here . Do you mean with multiple monitors
    the mouse is offset when you move between monitors, and you have to
    move the window to another monitor to remove the offset?
    What size monitors are you using?
I never presume to speak for the Qubes team.
When I comment in the Forum or in the mailing lists I speak for myself.
1 Like
  • updated title to “Screen lock doesn’t always work and mouse offset issues with R4.1”
  • moved to ‘User Support | 4.1’ and
  • added staff note “It’s fine to report bugs here in the forum. In many cases it’s better, because we can dig in and then provide a full issue report on Github. Please use the ‘User Support’ or one of it’s sub-categories to do so.”

@ppc: no worries, it’s understood you had good intentions and want to help keep the forum clean; but @unman is right and often we send people the other way (from Github to the forum) if it’s not entirely clear whether the reported observations is in fact a bug or maybe “just” a user support topic. A conversation here can find all the details needed to make a high quality bug report to ease the work load of the developers.

1 Like

By “offset” I mean, perhaps when switching between desktops, the pointer isn’t where the mouse icon shows. I found a “fix” to it: moving the window snaps it back to normal…

Looks like it happens only in Brave. It happens after turning off and back on the display.

xss-lock coredumps from time to time in both 4.0 and 4.1. This may cause the screenlock to not happen.
Someone recently posted such a coredump on this forum (you can see it in the journal).

IIRC xss-lock mostly coredumps on screen changes etc.

That’s one of the reasons why pressing a shortcut to trigger a screenlocker is recommended over waiting for some timeout.

xscreensaver seems to have had similar bugs in the past, so i guess it’s not surprising. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

B

The lock timeout is identified by xss-lock. So if that fails, xscreensaver or whatever other locker you use is not started.

See /etc/xdg/autostart/xfce4-xss-lock.desktop and /usr/bin/xflock4 for proof.