Ryzen 7000 serie

Hey, sorry for the late response.

Actually it was try and restart a bunch of times.

• First boot with 4.2.0rc1 bootstick (x2apic=false, tbh I don’t know if it is really required, but it’s working now and I will do a clean reinstallation anyway for 4.2.0 or 4.2.1).
  • Second boot (x2apic=false, just to be sure): I set the option “don’t set up anything” and clicked ok. You are forwarded to the login screen now.
    Then I ran sudo /usr/libexec/initial-setup/initial-setup-graphical in dom0 and installed it qube by qube.

What is you problem in detail? I have not had any networking issues, only one of the usb controllers resulted in instant restart of the whole system when attaching it to sys-usb.

I wrote up my problem, which is the same as yours, in https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/8322. No networking issues, runs like a charm. Not ready for a daily driver for me yet (pity as it is a delight to use), just using as an app server now.

[ed} You could add a note to that issue regarding the correct way to workaround.

1 Like

I’ve just tried installing both 4.1.1 and 4.2.0-rc1 to a 7940HS device. No dice. The GRUB menu loads up off the the USB just fine but none of the options work.

Once a GRUB option is selected the computer reboots itself twice and back to the GRUB menu. Selecting the “Troubleshooting - verbose boot and install” option leads to 2 seconds of log entries, then the same reboot back to GRUB.

I’ve tried putting in both x2apic=false and x2apic_phys=true in the GRUB boot parameters without success.

EDIT: If anyone without 7940HS/Phoenix APU hardware needs someone who does to help troubleshoot ideas into a working Qubes install, just get in touch. Happy to test and give things a try as compatibility (hopefully) emerges over time.

1 Like

Heartbreaking. I hope that Qubes team will make 7940HS and other CPUs from Ryzen family working before the final release of Qubes 4.2.

Okay I have the same problem with the Ryzen 9 7940HS.
Then I’ll wait until the problem is fixed. Greetings

Greetings. As for me I had better luck with Ryzen 7 7735HS.

7735HS is zen3+
7940HS is zen4

New architecture.

Thanks, I have now ordered another computer with 7735.

Why AMD? Intel is better for Qubes.

Is an i7 better than a ryzen 7? I had seen when comparing that the i7 works with DDR 4 and the ryzen 7 with DDR5, where I see more advantages

It’s not useful to compare CPUs performance only by their manufacturer.

Well, I want a computer that is optimal for Qubes. I thought it would be ryzen with 64gb DDR 5 ram. The DDR5 ram is probably 50% faster than DDR4. With i7 I would have to go to i7 13xxx because the i7 12xxx only takes the DDR4. I think the RAM speed is important, or how do you see it. I appreciate your advice, I can still go from 7735 reorder to i7. Greetings

I will share with you one secret no one knows: AMD architecture is good for energy efficiency. Intel arch is good for single core performance.

Qubes = Software graphical render = Single core IPC = Intel

Intel single core IPC = ~2250 with 13th gen CPUs. Best AMD CPU you can use with Qubes is zen3+ arch, so it is ~1600 IPC. Intel is 30% faster in terms of rendering graphics (smooth browsing and etc). It is crucial.

So buying AMD is very bad idea.

RAM bandwidth is no importance. Single core performance is the one that rules Qubes.

1 Like

My machine has a 7940HS and Qubes (RC3 & RC4) seems to be running fine in the short time I’ve been testing it. Didn’t eve need to add any special parameters in GRUB.
I did need to update the BIOS before it would install.

Wow. Thats good news. Could you please share more details? What is your laptop model and version of bios update at least. (probably there is useful information in release notes of bios update)

I saw your post somewhere, where you wrote that you had successfuly installed QO 4.2 on 7000 ryzen. Could you please share your experience?

To be noted, with recent xen patch available in QubesOS R4.2, there is no need anymore to add “x2apic=false” or “x2apic_phys=true”

1 Like

Got the bad idea to upgrade my bios to a more recent version.
Now the amdgpu driver crash / is unable to make the igpu work, so, no GUI.
The bios is bugged and refuse to downgrade the bios.
The bios switch that allow or not the downgrade have no effect (why does that kind of switch even exist? ).

This joke never end, fucking hell.
I don’t recommand the asus strix x670e-F, unless you want to test the limit of your sanity. Tested by sadistic clown

Edit: solved.
Downgrade worked using the hardware button on the motherboard, the GUI option in the BIOS doesn’t work.
And for the error I was having, I already solved it many month ago and forgot about it, I need to manually configure the voltage in the the bios. But hell, for the price of this motherboard, I should not have to do that to just make it work

2 Likes

the cpu voltage?