Ryzen 7000 serie

Yes.

no change. I am going to reinstall it again. Now with the default kernel and not 6.3.2-1. Maybe this helps.

same as before
I shuts down during the ...executing qubes configuration step of the installation. Next I try to set up qubes with “don’t configure anything” and try to continue from there.

Update: I got it booting into dom0 when choosing “don’t set up anything”.
How do I proceed from here? Can I manually execute the script step by step and see where it gets stuck?

You can start it from dom0 terminal:
sudo /usr/libexec/initial-setup/initial-setup-graphical

Okay, I got it working with a fresh installation. It guess it was important to add an internet connection during the installation. There were some packages downloaded/updated which seem to be required.
Also I choose “don’t set up anything” on the second installation step.
Then I ran sudo /usr/libexec/initial-setup/initial-setup-graphical and my computer was shutting down during the network setup step.
Rebooting with qubes.skip_autostart works and I can start a qube and access the internet now.
Now I set qubes.skip_autostart for linux and x2apic=false for xen via (Custom kernel options/parameters not used - #5 by dipole).

Reboot is working without modification of kernel options. Updating VMs is working, updating dom0 is working via command line.

So I guess it’s okay for now?

Update: I found the issue: I cannot start sys-usb. When trying to, my system immediately reboots. Do you know any proper way to debug this?

Remove all PCI devices (USB controllers) from sys-usb in its Qube Settings Devices tab.
Then add them one by one and try to start sys-usb to find the one that is causing this.

1 Like

Is Qubes OS R4.2 expected to be working on Phoenix series CPUs, such as AMD Ryzen™ 9 7940HS?

Only one way to be 100% sure :slight_smile:

I would expect it to work correctly, with the same remaining difficulty of setting x2apic_phys=true

@Rnd3sB3g13rng how did you go with narrowing down the problem? I notice there does not appear to be an issue raised yet.

I will add another data point here: same problem with 7950X + Gigabyte X670E MB: normal installation of 4.2.0rc1 runs through to just after saying “Configuring networking”, on the second pass, then a hardware reset. Further boot attempts always hardware reset just after entering disk pass phrase. Need to add “qubes.skip_autostart” to linux boot options, boot up, untick start at boot in sys_usb, manually config networking and system is running. I found that sys_usb was OK with 4 out of 5 of the A670X USB controllers enabled - they seem to work fine. Don’t need x2apic=false at any time.

The problem is with device 37:00.0 something different about this controller in the 670 chipset?

[ed] MB is X670E

Quick followup: I lost my MBR (not Qubes fault) so had to reload - tried the latest kernel instal, same result that problem is with just one USB controller, leaving it not passed thru to sys-usb allows the system to function normally. Yes it is pretty snappy at runnning Qubes. I have the 3D processor which has slightly lower base clock and 1/2 power consumption, typically, than 7950X.

I now strongly suspect that the problem is with the controller on the CPU that is being used for the mouse and keyboard. Noticed another user with a problem mapping an active USB conotroller: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/passing-usb-controller-with-connected-usb3-device-reboots-host-on-x670e/192335

Hey, sorry for the late response.

Actually it was try and restart a bunch of times.

• First boot with 4.2.0rc1 bootstick (x2apic=false, tbh I don’t know if it is really required, but it’s working now and I will do a clean reinstallation anyway for 4.2.0 or 4.2.1).
  • Second boot (x2apic=false, just to be sure): I set the option “don’t set up anything” and clicked ok. You are forwarded to the login screen now.
    Then I ran sudo /usr/libexec/initial-setup/initial-setup-graphical in dom0 and installed it qube by qube.

What is you problem in detail? I have not had any networking issues, only one of the usb controllers resulted in instant restart of the whole system when attaching it to sys-usb.

I wrote up my problem, which is the same as yours, in https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/8322. No networking issues, runs like a charm. Not ready for a daily driver for me yet (pity as it is a delight to use), just using as an app server now.

[ed} You could add a note to that issue regarding the correct way to workaround.

1 Like

I’ve just tried installing both 4.1.1 and 4.2.0-rc1 to a 7940HS device. No dice. The GRUB menu loads up off the the USB just fine but none of the options work.

Once a GRUB option is selected the computer reboots itself twice and back to the GRUB menu. Selecting the “Troubleshooting - verbose boot and install” option leads to 2 seconds of log entries, then the same reboot back to GRUB.

I’ve tried putting in both x2apic=false and x2apic_phys=true in the GRUB boot parameters without success.

EDIT: If anyone without 7940HS/Phoenix APU hardware needs someone who does to help troubleshoot ideas into a working Qubes install, just get in touch. Happy to test and give things a try as compatibility (hopefully) emerges over time.

1 Like

Heartbreaking. I hope that Qubes team will make 7940HS and other CPUs from Ryzen family working before the final release of Qubes 4.2.

Okay I have the same problem with the Ryzen 9 7940HS.
Then I’ll wait until the problem is fixed. Greetings

Greetings. As for me I had better luck with Ryzen 7 7735HS.

7735HS is zen3+
7940HS is zen4

New architecture.

Thanks, I have now ordered another computer with 7735.