Requested feedbacks for 5.4 kernel (future Qubes 4.0.4)

Hi all,
on the qubes-user mailing list, @adw requests feedbacks for the 5.4 kernel : available on mail-archive or on google groups.

If you want to help and already played with Qubes OS and Linux kernel (i.e.: not for novice users!), read the posts from the mailing list, and try the new kernel:

[xxx@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=upgrade --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing kernel kernel-qubes-vm 

If all works, you’ll get a 5.4.78 kernel.

It’s important because it’s an opportunity to get a newer default kernel (in Qubes 4.0.4), so more supported hardware, therefore more simple install for all users.

1 Like

Linking the read-only archive of the referred thread:

Not sure if this is the place to post this or if the 4.0.4-rc2 thread is better - @deeplow feel free to move.

I have been using kernel-latest for a while, currently at 5.9.14. In the last days kernel updated to 5.4.88, and took precedence over kernel-latest in xen.cfg. Issues:

• Why does a lower version kernel take precedence over the higher version from kernel-latest?

• In the few days I stuck with 5.4.88 I noticed 1 problem: Window scrolling was very noticeably slower and less reliable. This issue is why I returned to 5.9.14.

• Since nothing ever seems to be perfect, 5.9.14 has a problem too: When the mouse is in the bottom maybe 25% of the screen, flickering sometimes occurs. Moving the mouse up out of this area stops the flickering.

No idea if these are particular to my system, video card, or whatever - I haven’t another system to compare.