Reformatting to windows

I have a bit of a quandary. recently I’ve had a series of strokes that have limited a number of my abilities. I can no longer utilize qubes and wonder how to get back to windows. I loved the concept, But my current situation and physical ability frustrates me to no end and I would like to reinstall Windows. Any help?

Hello @fadrius, I’m very sorry about your health problems. You can probably make a backup of your Qubes system and then perform Emergency backup recovery without Qubes, which does not require a Qubes installation. This is designed for Linux, but I guess you can use Windows subsystem for Linux here.

That’s awful. I’m very sorry to hear that. :frowning:

You should be able to simply wipe your drive and install Windows on it. In theory, every OS installer, including Windows, should be able to wipe a drive as part of the standard preparation before installing itself. Qubes doesn’t do anything special to “lock” itself or your drive or anything like that. However, sometimes OS installers can be a bit dumb and not know how to remove even common partition schemes.

After a bit of searching, I found this article from Microsoft that seems to be exactly what you’re looking for:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-remove-linux-and-install-windows-on-your-computer-f489c550-f8ec-b458-0a64-c3a8d60d3497

2 Likes