Recurring error "VG qubes_dom0 metadata too large for circular buffer" upon starting VMs

Hi everyone!

I have encountered the error “VG qubes_dom0 metadata too large for circular buffer” upon starting a VM previously. That time, I was able to extent the partition size for meta data with this command:
sudo lvextend --poolmetadatasize +500M qubes_dom0/pool00

Now I have encountered the same problem again, the above command helped to start one more VM, but starting the second VM triggered the same error again.

sudo lvs -a gives the following output:

LV                                                  VG         Attr       LSize   Pool   Origin                                        Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  [lvol0_pmspare]                                     qubes_dom0 ewi------- 360.00m                                                                                             
  pool00                                              qubes_dom0 twi-aotz-- 349.18g                                                      85.10  24.47                           
  [pool00_tdata]                                      qubes_dom0 Twi-ao---- 349.18g                                                                                             
  [pool00_tmeta]                                      qubes_dom0 ewi-ao----   1.33g                                                                                             
  root                                                qubes_dom0 Vwi-aotz-- 349.18g pool00                                               4.33                                   
  swap                                                qubes_dom0 -wi-ao----  30.86g                                                                                             

Do you have any idea what I could try to fix this? Thanks!

Why is swap 30g?

The Qubes installer determined the swap size based on my machine automatically. I didn’t make any modification on the disc partitioning. My machine has a 500GB SSD and 64GB of RAM, so 30GB swap seem okay to me.

It;s still too much for my taste.

Nevertheless, did you try:

lvconvert --repair qubes_dom0/vm-pool00

after extending?