Recover data after notebook service

Hi, I bought Lenovo T14s with an AMD processor, I put in a bigger disk and installed Qubes OS 4.1.1 on it, with disk encryption enabled. Shortly after installation, it turned out, there was a bad pixel, so I made a warranty claim and sent the notebook. Just in case I took out the disk, the one with Qubes on it and I put in the stock one. When they returned it, it turned out that they updated BIOS and when I put in my disk with Qubes, the notebook could not boot the system (Security boot is disabled).

I prepared a USB stick with Qubes again and at the grub menu there is an option to “Rescue a Qubes OS system”. When I chose it, the tool detects the disk, and asks about the passphrase but couple of seconds later says “You don’t have any Linux partitions. Rebooting.”.

Long story short, the disk was encrypted during the Qubes OS installation. I would like to decrypt it, not necessarily via rescue mode. I haven’t used luks much before (only once), but my intuition suggests it should be possible.

The disk inside is M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (WD Blue SN570 2TB).
During the installation, I chose the automatic storage configuration - default settings.

Could you give me advice on how to manually decrypt the storage?

2 Likes

If it’s the bios that cannot detect any OS, I would recommend copying the folder at /boot/efi/EFI/qubes to /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT, and do some renaming, such as rename xen.efi to BOOTX64.efi. A bit more search might help you. I’m sorry that my Qubes laptop isn’t with me now.

2 Likes