Ready to move to QUBES with some new hardware!

Hello, I’m new to QUBES community, I’ve seen various videos on youtube explaining how QUBES work but I’m unsure on some passages so let’s you some things!

I’ve 2 machines

One is a Threadripper AMD 1950X / X399 based workstation (this hasn’t a internal vga, considering getting an old card for os usage)
One is a AMD Ryzen 7 series / AM5 based workstation
both with lot of cores and blazing-fast nvme drives

What I would like to do is move both from windows 10 to QUBES, because I would really like to have a hypervisor that is able to create and dispose fastly of virtual machines.

I would like to run for both, a main WINDOWS 10 templated virtual machine with lots of softwares in it mostly the Complete Adobe Creative Cloud, various other multimedia softwares and Davinci Resolve 18 Studio, Clip Studio Paint and so on with Cintiq tablet and so on. Also I was considering of preparing a Stable Diffusion setup inside this vm or maybe on another linux one.

Various linux ubuntu, debian and so on virtual machines some fully disposable others more static like.

For what I’ve seen it seems there’s a kind of good integration between linux and QUBES.

The question is: is the support of Windows 10/11 good enough?

In the AMD Ryzen 7 AM5 workstation I was planning to use the internal vga for QUBES and pass-through completely a NVIDIA 3060 to the windows main virtual machine.

Creative cloud and other softwares like Davinci Resolve uses a lot of hardware including vga acceleration, Stable Diffusion does aswell with also lot of gb of VRAM. And my current setup is 4 monitors.

Can all of this be achieved with a good configuration on qubes ? It’s a nowadays advanced multimedia setup.

I would love do this on qubes rather than virtualizing just some virtual machines atop of windows 10 :
This would help me a lot, expecially for testing new software on win before consolidating the snapshot (or passing it to template in Qubes terminology).

Do you think that this setup is doable? Can be achieved without getting mad behind tons of unsupported and undocumented features setup?

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome.
I strongly recommend you to search the forum and documentation. These are all topics discussed countless times, thus easy to find. After researching, all the questions and further doubts are welcomed.
Also, someone might be willing to repeat all that is sad and to paste links to specific resources, but the more you invest yourself in the beginning, the more you’ll gain later both from the community and yourself alone.

1 Like

It looks like it’s possible indeed: Windows GPU passthrough black screen on boot