QWT on Windows XP

Hi, since I have fully functional Win10 Qube, I want to try if I can run WinXP qube. I have one old smartphone that I was unable to backup since it don’t want to communicate with newest version of its vendors software for Windows. It has onboard installer for that tool that won’t run on Win 7 and 10, so I think that maybe I will give it a try with virtual WinXP someday. I was able to Install WinXP on Qubes without any problem. I try to install QWT but as I suspect installer don’t want to start even when I install SP3. Then I try to install USB 3.0 and enable stubdom-qrexec. Should I add some more features or install some xen drivers to give it a try?

This is enough to get ability to attach USB devices, but you need to find NEC USB controller drivers for WinXP

In addition correct feature name is ‘stubdom-qrexec’

Always making some typo there :P. After some resets I can attach USB and drive it presents to WinXP qube. Also install driver for NEC that not showing any problems in device manager, but when I attache virtual CD-ROM with that installer WinXP not see it.

What is this about? QWT? Never tried to get it work with winxp

No, as I wrote I want to attach some old smartphone that present it self as CD-ROM with installer, some storage devices etc. I tried to attache individual devices since attaching whole USB not work, but it also not work. Now it works, I uninstall Win XP driver for NEC that I have from Lenovo and decide give a try this drivers that You mentioned in the post since they are tagged as win32 not 64, and they works. When I attach whole USB it finds all the devices.

1 Like

So that it works on Win XP is confirmed. Having fully functional QWT on Win XP will be great but I assume it will not work since architectural differences. Maybe I will try to figure it out what should I add to Win XP to be able to run the installer and confirm that it not work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ok, I was finally able to make another step with Win XP. To run the installer installation of Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable was needed (unfortunately available only by whayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20130507164827/http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/6/1/261fca42-22c0-4f91-9451-0e0f2e08356d/WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe). I also installed dotnet used to build QWT (since I found somewhere in the internet info that wix installer may need it). But still I’m not able to install QWT. As suspected there is error about unsupported processor.

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor"

Is there a possibility to build QWT as win32 application?

And WinXP x64 is not an option? I’m asking because I’m interested in your experiment.

Don’t have legit installation medium with Win XP 64. I have only old CD-ROM with standard Win XP Pro that probably was downloaded by my brother-in-law from MSDNAA during his student days (can’t check the checksum since MS not providing it officially now but this origin is very likely). I also tried with Win XP mode but It looks like importing images to Qubes is somewhat broken (I also can’t import virtualbox image of PLD linux) - when done according to official guide it just not find bootable drive, when done by copying root fs from raw image to root directory of a qube with matching size it starts booting but then crashing.

I tried just change ARCH in makefile to x86 but catch an error during build:

ERROR: Command failed: 
 # bash --login -c /usr/bin/rpmbuild -bb --target x86_64 --nodeps /builddir/build/SPECS/qubes-windows-tools.spec

make[2]: *** [/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-rpm/Makefile-mock.rpmbuilder:93: dist-package-build] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-builder'
make[1]: *** [Makefile.generic:197: packages] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-builder'
make: *** [Makefile:273: windows-tools-cross-dom0] Error 1

Ok, I find that I also have to change DDK_ARCH in qubes-windows-tools.spec.in. So I have x86 version of QWT. Unfortunately it also don’t want to install. Installer working but durning an installation it catches some error, and start rolling back. It is independent on selected options.

We made win32 builds earlier, so it should be workable, but I’m not sure that WinXP is compatible with Xen drivers. That might be checked independently.

It looks like it is discontinued now in Xen. Citrix have some legacy drivers but they also abandoned it. I tried with 8.1.0 drivers but with no luck. But when I looked deeper in the makefile I want to ask why QWT not using 9.0.0 drivers?

I have found Xen drivers for WinXP: https://web.archive.org/web/20160612130149if_/http://updates.software-univention.de/download/addons/gplpv-drivers/gplpv_XP_signed_0.11.0.373.msi

I was able to install that old Xen drivers, and later QWT without Xen PV drivers. Installation missing drivers for VGA video controller and HD audio device. After manually enabling all features for that HVM non of them seems to work.