Qubesd fails during the upgrade 4.0 -> 4.1

I’m trying to do a in-place upgrade (following the upgrade doc).

After installing/updating lots of fc32 packages (probably stage 4), the process crashes.

Failed to connect to qubesd service: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I don’t really know anything about this, but after a little bit of googling I found out that I can check the daemon by systemctl status qubesd and it confirmed that it’s down.

I also found out that I can try to get more info by journalctl -xe. That gave me lots of info that I didn’t really understand, but one thing was:

Failed to connect socket to ‘/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock’: Connection refused

Checking it with systemctl status libvirtd tells me that it has also crashed:

Unable to configure libxl’s memory management parameters
Initialisation of Xen state driver failed: no error
Driver state initialisation failed

Failed to start Virtualization daemon.

Any ideas what should I try next to get these daemons up and running? Or could the problem be somewhere else? What should I look for?

Up to this point the upgrade process went fine, except at some point it was trying to get fc32 packages from 4.0 repo.

I decided to see what happens if I replace the metalink url’s from r$releasever to r4.1 in qubes-dom0.repo and that allowed me to continue with the installation. Not sure if this is related in some way to the current problem.

tbh, i’d just backup all appvm and template, reinstall, then you’ll get luks 2.0 also apparently, save the headaches,

I gave up on the in place upgrade, qubes backup/restore is so nice

Yep, I am considering a clean install. But I thought it would be good to share my experience, in case other people have the same problem.

I have backed up all the important qubes, but the computer is still on at the point where the upgrade stalled. If anyone has any ideas what to do at this point, I can still try them.