Qubesd can't start at all

Qubes usually works normally for a few days and then there is always the moment when I get this error right when I boot up, it happened 7 times between January-March, I can’t find anything about it anywhere and I’m tired of always reinstalling the OS, does anyone know a fix?

Is qubes-db-dom0 service running?

sorry double post

Thank you for your reply and no it doesn’t:

Journalctl:

What happened to your /boot/efi partition?

I have no idea, but I assume it could be related to my dualboot with Windows? Yet both were working fine for several days and I didn’t change anything…

random idea: maybe your Windows is not shutting down fully and leave partition in a weird state? Try shutting it down by clicking “shutdown” button while holding shift.

do you use usb drive on qubes? this likely happen when you use detached drive.

Same thing but without the previous warnings :frowning:

Only the qubes installation USB but I will try.

i mean where you store your boot and efi partition? internal or external drive?

Oh sorry yes internal, I installed with the default “whole disk” configuration of qubes and I don’t have a separate boot partition.

boot into qubes os recovery from qubes installation media, after a while press 3 to skip to shell, run lsblk -f post picture here.

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme1n1p3 luks-root
(enter password)
vgchange -ay

mount /dev/qubes_dom0/root /mnt
mount /dev/nvme1n1p2 /mnt/boot
mount /dev/nvme1n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi

mount -B /dev /mnt/dev
mount -B /sys /mnt/sys
mount -B /proc /mnt/proc
mount -B /run /mnt/run

chroot /mnt
vi /etc/fstab

change A51A-5723 to 7CF7-5589

dracut -vf /boot/initramfs-(check your kernel version.img) (kernel modules)

efibootmgr -c -u -L cscp -l /EFI/qubes/grubx64.efi -d /dev/nvme1n1 -p 1

(it is L with lower case before /EFI)

It worked thank you! But I had to use more commands:

• modprobe efivarfs (EFI variables not supported)
  • for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
  • cp -r /lib/modules/5.15(tab-to-complete) /mnt/lib/modules (from: Unable to boot into Qubes - #13 by syspacket)
1 Like

it mean you boot your qubes rescue mode in the legacy bios, not a uefi.

also you dont need the kernel modules from installation, since you have different issue with syspacket, you can just specify kernel modules as i said above.