Qubes - Whonix Update 15

@grienekliess asked:

I have performed the release update according to instructions. Everything went smoothly. But now I still have whonix-15-ws + gw. And with the “normal” updates via Qubes the update of the GW works but not that of the WS. I always have to do this manually via the terminal. When I do “system check” this appears: user@host:~$ systemcheck
[INFO] [systemcheck] whonix-ws-15 | Whonix-Workstation | TemplateVM | Sun 05 Dec 2021 08:20:57 AM UTC
[INFO] [systemcheck] Whonix APT Repository: Enabled.
When the Whonix team releases BULLSEYE updates,
they will be AUTOMATICALLY installed (when you run apt-get dist-upgrade)
along with updated packages from the Debian team. Please
read Placing Trust in Whonix ™ to understand the risk.
If you want to change this, use:
sudo whonix_repository
[INFO] [systemcheck] Debian Package Update Check: Checking for software updates via apt-get… ( Documentation: Operating System Software and Updates - Whonix )
[INFO] [systemcheck] Debian Package Update Check Result: No updates found via apt-get.
[INFO] [systemcheck] Please donate!
See: Donating to Whonix ™

What have I done wrong? Can anybody help please?

whonix-15 is no longer supported and does not receive updates. The message you see tells you that Whonix has moved on Bullseye (Debian 11). This doesn’t fit to Whonix 15 which was based on Buster (Debian 10).

You should stop using Whonix 15.

Did you manage to get this working? I had more or less a similar issue. I also had whonix-ws and whonix-gw in version 15 installed and installed version 16 next to it due to an update. Installation went just fine and I also updated all qubes to use the newer version 16 instead of version 15, but whenever I try to delete the old version 15 qubes I get an error message:

VM installed by package manager: whonix-gw-15

I had to open package manager from qubes to remove the packages whonix-gw-15 and whonix-ws-15 and there the two templates were gone.

In a dom0 terminal, try:

sudo dnf remove qubes-template-whonix-ws-15 qubes-template-whonix-gw-15

This will remove the RPM-installed Whonix 15 templates (by removing their associated template packages).