[qubes-users] Win10VM: User name or password incorrect at startup

I have a situation with a Windows 10 AppVM that I am hoping someone with more experience might be able to answer. I created my first Windows 10 VM a few months ago using the qvm-create-windows-cube.sh script and it seemed to work well enough.

But just recently when I just wanted to start it to update the OS software it started up fine but claimed that my password had expired and it forced me to change it. I do know what I set it to but now each time it starts it says “Username or password incorrect” and then prompts me to login with a valid password. I don’t remember it ever prompting me before, and I don’t know what is even trying this other password that is evidently incorrect.

Q: Where is this other supposed/incorrect password being passed into it from, and is there any way to go back to not needing this login requirement?

thanks,

Steve

Steve Coleman:

Q: Where is this other supposed/incorrect password being passed into it
from, and is there any way to go back to not needing this login
requirement?

Thanks awokd!

Just to follow up in case this happens to anyone else, the registry entry 'DefaultPassword’ disappeared completely yet the ‘AutoAdminLogon’ was still set to ‘1’, unlike what the documentation says should happen.

I still need to figure out why a) the DefaultPassword entry disappeared, or b) why the password was expiring and thus the system forced me to set an actual password instead of what the qvm script had originally set up. This will likely remain a mystery but at least it’s working again.

Steve

can the password set by the script be found anywhere? I also ran into this, and don’t recall I set any password, yet blank isn’t accepted either.