[qubes-users] User used to write to network share

How does one overcome the problem of the user used to write to a network share?

In broader explanation. Say for example i connect to a network share

sudo mount -o username=testuser //my-server/dir /home/user/testmount

the share mounts and i can browse the file system but i cannot write to it because the write is made with the user "user" that logs onto the booted VM automatically with an unknown possibly empty password. This causes the write fail because the user "testuser" must make the write.

Now on R4.0 i could make the mount with the noperm option

sudo mount -o username=testuser,noperm //my-server/dir /home/user/testmount

Doing it like this worked 100%. When i wrote a file to the share it applied the ACLs on the share to the file being written to the share. Something in 4.1 is causing this to fail.

Can anybody give me any pointers?

Is it perhaps possible in 4.1 to specify the user that is used to automatically log into a VM?

Qubes wrote:

How does one overcome the problem of the user used to write to a network share?

In broader explanation. Say for example i connect to a network share

sudo mount -o username=testuser //my-server/dir /home/user/testmount

the share mounts and i can browse the file system but i cannot write to it because the write is made with the user "user" that logs onto the booted VM automatically with an unknown possibly empty password. This causes the write fail because the user "testuser" must make the write.

Now on R4.0 i could make the mount with the noperm option

Doing it like this worked 100%. When i wrote a file to the share it applied the ACLs on the share to the file being written to the share. Something in 4.1 is causing this to fail.

Can anybody give me any pointers?

Is it perhaps possible in 4.1 to specify the user that is used to automatically log into a VM?

To add to this, perhaps a hint in the right direction. If i create a file from cli on the network share, mounted with the "noperm" option, and i edit and save it with vi it works as expected.

cd /home/user/testmount/
touch testperm2.txt
vi testperm2.txt
i can edit and save the file and when i check the network share ACLs are correct.

Which means the problem is with Gnome Text Editor that i use for all of my note taking.

Is there someone that can help me understand this problem? I know gedit creates a temporary file that it does the edits it and then writes that to disk. I suspect the problem lies here but i have no idea how to address it. Specifically it wasn't a problem on R4.0.

Is it possible that something in R4.1 has changed the behavior here?

I have no ideas that are you talk about, but the R4.1 can be compatible with R4.0’s accessibility for your servers. However, it might be another distro version problem(s) that R4.0 using Fedora 29 while R4.1 using Fedora 32. @Unman will figure it out for you because I don’t have the right tools to do this type of troubleshoot similar as yours.

Howard Chen wrote:

I have no ideas that are you talk about, but the R4.1 can be compatible
with R4.0's accessibility for your servers. However, it might be another
distro version problem(s) that R4.0 using Fedora 29 while R4.1 using Fedora

The version of Fedora you are referring to here is the version of Fedora used for dom0, not the Templates. Debian-11 template is the same version on both 4.0 and 4.1.

In dom0 terminal: