[qubes-users] Unable to install Qubes 4.0.3 in 10th Gen i7 with Intel Integrated UHD 630

Hardware:
PRIME B460M-A

Intel® Core™ i7-10700 Processor with integrated

Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Issue Summary:
Boot mode set to UEFI (there is no legacy GRUB boot option).
With default installation, the UEFI process hangs with a Panic CPU/Fatal Page Fault.
Editing the BOOTx64.cfg, and commenting out noexitboot and mapbs, it will load through the UEFI boot process and then hangs on a black screen.
I am assuming that it is an issue with the Integrated Graphics (?).

This issue (https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5383) describes the issue, but the fixes suggested there have not allowed the install to continue.

Disabling the Nouveau driver by adding modprobe.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau to the BOOTx64.cfg file still leaves me stuck at the black screen.

Adjusting the options=console=vga to options=console=none results in it getting stuck on the initial UEFI bootloader.

Any further suggestions on what I can try to identify the issue?

Hardware:
PRIME B460M-A

Intel® Core™ i7-10700 Processor with integrated

Intel® UHD Graphics 630

Issue Summary:
Boot mode set to UEFI (there is no legacy GRUB boot option).
With default installation, the UEFI process hangs with a Panic CPU/Fatal Page Fault.
Editing the BOOTx64.cfg, and commenting out noexitboot and mapbs, it will load through the UEFI boot process and then hangs on a black screen.
I am assuming that it is an issue with the Integrated Graphics (?).

This issue (https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5383) describes the issue, but the fixes suggested there have not allowed the install to continue.

Disabling the Nouveau driver by adding modprobe.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau to the BOOTx64.cfg file still leaves me stuck at the black screen.

Adjusting the options=console=vga to options=console=none results in it getting stuck on the initial UEFI bootloader.

Any further suggestions on what I can try to identify

I have an Alienware 17 with Skylake.

Not sure whether the problem is graphics or something to do with SSD. Or Kernel.

I did discover that I could install Qubes 4.1 rc from September. While this is not to be “trusted”. It allows me to try things. I am basically waiting for 4.1 final. Then reinstall that.

I seem to have managed to get this working.

A note for anyone who has a similar issue, my ‘blank screen’ that it got stuck at… Well I decided to just leavge it and walk away, and when I came back I had the Qubes install screen… Lesson learnt, when there is no error message, it might be worth waiting and see if it comes through.

Once in, the screen resolution was set at ‘default’, but an update to the latest kernel and a reboot sorted that and now I am up and running.

1 Like