[qubes-users] Trying to Install on a very new system (ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI)

Hello,

Very excited to try Qubes on a shiny new system. It looks like exactly what I have wanted for quite some time--a way to run most everything in its own VM. I have done this in an incomplete and somewhat naive fashion using VMware Workstation (on Ubuntu) for a number of years, but it is inefficient both in terms of resources and how difficult it is to administer. Qubes looks perfect for me.

Unfortunately, the install is hanging, and I would like some pointers on how to proceed. I am aware my system is not on the HCL, but it is a well regarded (if recent) motherboard. I am willing to invest some time to figure things out and maybe get it on the HCL. While I'm fairly computer savvy, I haven't spent any time with Xen before.

I have tried both Qubes 4.0.4 and 4.1rc1. Failure mode is the same in both cases.

What happens is that I get a whole bunch of information scrolling past me (I don't know how to capture this). The messages go by really fast--I don't seem to see any errors--then I get a memory map followed by a message that Dom0 has all of the processors available, and there is a pause. I believe at this point the system attempts to switch from text mode to graphics mode. What happens is that the screen goes blank and stays that way.

Given my guess that this is somehow related to the switch from text mode to graphical mode, it may be significant to note that I happen to have two NVIDIA RTX GPU's on the system; the first one in the PCI chain is a 3070, and other is a 3090. I have enabled IOMMU in the BIOS as I am planning to run GPU passthru under some form of Linux--hopefully Qubes.

I have verified that the installation media is good by using it on a different machine where I do get to the graphical installer.

Thank you for an assistance you can provide.

--QUC

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note. Not feasible to move to AMD. The 3090 is factory supported for passthrough. In fact, there's even a hack to make it virtualizable under KVM--unfortunately this hack does not appear to be portable to Xen.

I need some pointers on what to look for or look at. I'm happy to do some legwork, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm hoping the community will help me. Otherwise Qubes is DOA on this system, and I'm going to have to give up on Qubes and look at a different solution (I think someone has cobbled up a Qubes-like config using KVM--maybe I'll give that a try).

Thanks,

--Ben

qubes-users_corresp@anywerx.com:

I need some pointers on what to look for or look at. I'm happy to do some legwork, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm hoping the community will help me. Otherwise Qubes is DOA on this system, and I'm going to have to give up on Qubes and look at a different solution (I think someone has cobbled up a Qubes-like config using KVM--maybe I'll give that a try).

Have you seen this? Installation troubleshooting | Qubes OS

@awokd: I didn't see those troubleshooting resources... sorry for troubling the group before using them

I'll spend some time with those resources and either come back to the group with a report of success or with some more specific questions.

Thank you so much for your help!