[qubes-users] Trying my luck

I am just trying my luck here with an issue that i have been unable to resolve on my Qubes system for a long time now. I have been looking into this problem quite a bit but i cannot seem to find a solution anywhere. Perhaps someone on this list has experienced the same and has found a solution.

When i open a text file that is located on a network share with gedit, gedit is unable to save the file. When I click the save button, or `Ctrl + s`, i can see gedit creates a temporary file named ".goutputstream-AO9U51" on the network share and in gedit i get a message "Could not create a backup file while saving "/home/user/data/test/file-name.txt"". If i launch gedit from cli i see a message on cli when saving the file "Hit unhandled case 27 (Error renaming temporary file: Resource temporarily unavailable) in parse_error."

I definitely have permissions on the network share as i can copy files to it, delete, create directories, etc. I can also open a LibreOffice document and save it. The problem appears to be specific to gedit. Also, it happens with both a Fedora and Debian based VM.

Qubes wrote:
I am just trying my luck here with an issue that i have been unable to resolve on my Qubes system for a long time now. I have been looking into this problem quite a bit but i cannot seem to find a solution anywhere. Perhaps someone on this list has experienced the same and has found a solution.

When i open a text file that is located on a network share with gedit, gedit is unable to save the file. When I click the save button, or `Ctrl + s`, i can see gedit creates a temporary file named ".goutputstream-AO9U51" on the network share and in gedit i get a message "Could not create a backup file while saving "/home/user/data/test/file-name.txt"". If i launch gedit from cli i see a message on cli when saving the file "Hit unhandled case 27 (Error renaming temporary file: Resource temporarily unavailable) in parse_error."

I definitely have permissions on the network share as i can copy files to it, delete, create directories, etc. I can also open a LibreOffice document and save it. The problem appears to be specific to gedit. Also, it happens with both a Fedora and Debian based VM.

In addition that i forgot to mention is, i can open edit and save the same txt files with vi and it works.

Qubes wrote:

Qubes wrote:

In addition that i forgot to mention is, i can open edit and save the same txt files with vi and it works.

I have read reports [1][2][3][4][6] dating as far back as 12 years with the sshfs protocol (an abandoned project) being implicated as well.

On issue 438 [3] that was reported on Gitlab it is reported that "As far as I can tell, the problem is in the way glib saves a file by writing to a temporary file and renaming to the final name." and "I'll take a more serious look later but I'd start with gio/glocalfileoutputstream.c and particularly the function _g_local_file_output_stream_really_close which contains the error string "Error renaming temporary file".".

A duplicate issue 565 [5] to issue 438 [3] was opened and there a patch is provided that is said to fix this issue although i have not tried it because i don't know how to.

**Question:** Would anybody perhaps know how and where to do the patch, attached for reference, on Fedora/Debian. As far as I can tell the patch needs to be done on the client since the problem originates from the client.

[1]: permissions - gedit + sshfs won't save (vi saves fine!) - Ask Ubuntu
[2]: linux - Gedit won't save a file on a VirtualBox share: Text file busy - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange
[3]: Virtualbox on Windows host and Linux guest: inability to overwrite files in shared folders from gedit (#438) · Issues · GNOME / GLib · GitLab
[4]: Can not work on files opened with gedit from a mount · Issue #2130 · rclone/rclone · GitHub
[5]: Unable to overwrite files on vbox shared mounted filesystems (#565) · Issues · GNOME / GLib · GitLab
[6]: Topicbox

(Attachment 0001-gio-workaround-for-renaming-files-on-filesystems-not.patch is missing)

Just wondering: Is the remote end Windows, and could some virus scanner block the rename request? You know Windows has kind of strange locking rules.

Ulrich Windl (Google) wrote:
Just wondering: Is the remote end Windows, and could some virus scanner block the rename request? You know Windows has kind of strange locking rules.

No the SMB server is running on OmniOS which is Illumos kernel.