[qubes-users] sys-net dispVM forgetting wifi passwords

I have installed 4.1rc2 and chose a disposable sys-net, because I could think of a reason not to.
But now that I have to type in the wifi password again and again, I know a reason to not choose dispVM for sys-net.

Maybe it should be mentioned in the installation process what consequences it will have to choose disposable for sys-net?

Mentioned already here and there. Thats one of the cons using a dispVM for the sys-qubes.
Next one is - you can’t “restart”…

TheGardner:

Mentioned already here and there. Thats one of the cons using a dispVM for
the sys-qubes.
Next one is - you can't "restart"...

I have installed 4.1rc2 and chose a disposable sys-net, because I could
think of a reason not to.
But now that I have to type in the wifi password again and again, I know a
reason to not choose dispVM for sys-net.

Maybe it should be mentioned in the installation process what consequences
it will have to choose disposable for sys-net?

It should be just easy to use your offline debian-11 vault to save the wifi passwords and insert it once you connect to a particular wifi.

There is of course an advantage for your anti tracking setup (together with other ones). So in this case if your sys-net gets compromised (unlikely but still possible), an adversary could see all your stored wifi connections which can give him unneeded advantage. This doesnt happen with disp sys-net.

The question is: What makes you more happy? Connect to the wifi handsfree and possibly give out your wifi history intelligence to an unknown parties, or you are more happy to insert the password from the offline vault manually and be more safe?

I’m fine with. I also can plugin a cable, having a wired connection, to save me from inserting wifi passwords. And as long as I’ll using the wifi connection, I don’t have any trouble in setting up the wifi password again and again.
But seems, others can’t understand, why they always have to do this by running sys-net on a dispVM.

Use a dedicated template for sys-net, e.g. sys-net-dvm and put the wifi password there.

File to modify is /rw/config/NM-system-connections/[wifi].nmconnection. Actually you can logon once and copy that file over to your template.

Those with salt do it fully automated.

1 Like