[qubes-users] Restored GPG domain from Q4.0 to Q4.1, won't start (xenbus_probe_frontend?)

I restored my system from a laptop running Qubes 4.0 recently

The template for my gpg domain is based on debian-10. I restored both the gpg domain and the template into the new system, but the gpg domain won’t start

It seems to get stuck waiting for the xvdd device to attach to the VM.

/var/log/xen/console/guest-gpg.log
blkfront: xvda: flush diskcache: enabled; persistent grants;: enabled; indirect descriptors: enabled; bounce buffer: enabled
xvda: xvda1 xvda2 xvda3
blkfront: xvdb: flush diskcache: enabled; persistent grants;: enabled; indirect descriptors: enabled; bounce buffer: enabled

blkfront: xvdc: flush diskcache: enabled; persistent grants;: enabled; indirect descriptors: enabled; bounce buffer: enabled
xenbus_probe_frontend: Waiting for devices to initialize: 25s…20s…15s…10s…5s…0s…

before the VM shuts down

If I boot another VM (ssh /lan) which uses the same template, I get this instead

blkfront: xvda: flush diskcache: enabled; persistent grants;: enabled; indirect descriptors: enabled; bounce buffer: enabled
xvda: xvda1 xvda2 xvda3
blkfront: xvdb: flush diskcache: enabled; persistent grants;: enabled; indirect descriptors: enabled; bounce buffer: enabled

blkfront: xvdc: flush diskcache: enabled; persistent grants;: enabled; indirect descriptors: enabled; bounce buffer: enabled

blkfront: xvdd: flush diskcache: enabled; persistent grants;: enabled; indirect descriptors: enabled; bounce buffer: enabled

Waiting for /dev/xvdd device…
/dev/xvdd: Can’t open blockdev

VM boots anyway

I googled that line and see references to /var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log - this file is empty

I’m wondering how old that VM is, maybe its come from Qubes 3.2 → 4.0 → 4.1 and finally it’s running into bother?

Other VM’s seem to boot from that template which is odd, I’m going to try transfer the data to a fresh qube, transfer THAT to the new system and hopefully it works, but otherwise I’m at a loss here

Transferring the data got me back in action, so I’m quite happy I had the old system running and didn’t have to muck about to regain access to the files

I’ve normally had good enough luck with the qubes backup and restore, but it does seem like Qubes from older systems might run into incompatibilities if imported into a newer Qubes, even if the corresponding template is restored too

Does anyone recognize the error or maybe know why the VM failed to boot under Qubes 4.1? Could we check for such conditions during the Qubes Restore?