[qubes-users] Need Help: Ruined my installation via PCI pass through

Hi!

Trying to get my WLAN adapter into sys-net, I made a fatal mistake: The USB host added also has the boot device (and mouse) connected. Now as soon as sys-net starts (maybe even earlier) the PV for qubes becomes inaccessible.

Mounting the device in another Linux system, I tried to prevent the start of sys-net by renaming the systemd link for multi-user target, but that did not help. The kernel panics shortly after boot.
Before I had tried to find (and edit) the settings that cause the problem, but could not find them.

My idea was to prevent start of sys-net, then use the qubes manager to undo my bad setting.
Unfortunately I don't get that far.

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
Ulrich

Ulrich Windl:

Hi!

Trying to get my WLAN adapter into sys-net, I made a fatal mistake: The USB host added also has the boot device (and mouse) connected. Now as soon as sys-net starts (maybe even earlier) the PV for qubes becomes inaccessible.

Mounting the device in another Linux system, I tried to prevent the start of sys-net by renaming the systemd link for multi-user target, but that did not help. The kernel panics shortly after boot.
Before I had tried to find (and edit) the settings that cause the problem, but could not find them.

My idea was to prevent start of sys-net, then use the qubes manager to undo my bad setting.
Unfortunately I don't get that far.

Try using sys-usb + usb keyboard + full disk encryption = inactive usb keyboard when you are asked to enter decryption key · Issue #2270 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub first. If that doesn't work, make a copy of /var/lib/qubes/qubes.xml, and edit it by hand to remove autostarting sys-net (and all other autostarts that depend on it such as sys-firewall), and/or remove the WLAN binding to sys-net. It's XML so a somewhat fragile file; pay attention to the <>/ etc.

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 10:22:17PM +0000, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote: > Ulrich Windl:

> Hi!
>
> Trying to get my WLAN adapter into sys-net, I made a fatal mistake: The USB host added also has the boot device (and mouse) connected. Now as soon as sys-net starts (maybe even earlier) the PV for qubes becomes inaccessible.
>
> Mounting the device in another Linux system, I tried to prevent the start of sys-net by renaming the systemd link for multi-user target, but that did not help. The kernel panics shortly after boot.
> Before I had tried to find (and edit) the settings that cause the problem, but could not find them.
>
> My idea was to prevent start of sys-net, then use the qubes manager to undo my bad setting.
> Unfortunately I don't get that far.

Try
using sys-usb + usb keyboard + full disk encryption = inactive usb keyboard when you are asked to enter decryption key · Issue #2270 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub
first. If that doesn't work, make a copy of /var/lib/qubes/qubes.xml, and
edit it by hand to remove autostarting sys-net (and all other autostarts
that depend on it such as sys-firewall), and/or remove the WLAN binding to
sys-net. It's XML so a somewhat fragile file; pay attention to the <>/ etc.

I wouldn't change too much in that file, just the absolute minimum.
To edit the xml file and remove the devices assigned to sys-net, look
for lines like <device backend-domain="dom0" id="xxxxxx"/> in the
sys-net section - delete those lines.
MAKE SURE you have a copy of that file somewhere safe before editing.

Then restart - sys-net should start but wont be stealing the usb
devices.

Hi!

Thanks for the help. Actually I'm sending this from Qubes, so the fix was successful :sunglasses:

Let me share some of my desperate attempts that all did not work. I'm telling you so you do not waste your time like I did.

* Editing /etc/libvirt/libxl/sys-net.xml did not help
* Trying to deactivate automatic start of sys-net via systemd did not work
* Editing the GRUB boot entry interactively allows you to specify "single" for single-user boot, but as long as the root user is disabled you end in a "cul de sac". I mounted the root LV from another system and set the root password to something (editing /etc/shadow).
* Trying the recovery option of the Installation media did not work (see attached image)
* There were some more boot menu choices that did not boot (I didn't understand what those are good for)

1 Like

Did you check '/var/lib/qubes/qubes.xml'? Maybe there you can disable
"autostart" property and also remove attached pci devices.