[qubes-users] modeles & firmware packages for the kernel-latest packages?

Hi,

The wireless card in my new machine (AX260) is reported to only start working with kernel 5.12, which means the stable kernel is not enough, but the kernel-latest package (now 5.16 in security-testing) should be fine.

I am wondering though where to get the appropriate firmware and modules packages from … they appear to be only available for 5.11 in security-testing.

When I tried kernel-latest yesterday (it was still 5.15), booting worked just fine until the login manager GUI was supposed to come up and than the machine blacked out, which I assum to mean missing modules?

Thank you for any advise in this matter.

Sincerely, Joh

Hi,

The wireless card in my new machine (AX260) is reported to only start working with kernel 5.12, which means the stable kernel is not enough, but the kernel-latest package (now 5.16 in security-testing) should be fine.

The wireless card is handled by sys-net if it is a PCI device, or
sys-usb if it is a USB device. The kernel and kernel-latest packages
provide the kernel used in dom0, which is distinct and not relevant
here. You need to install the kernel-latest-qubes-vm package and set
the kernel of your network-providing VM appropriately.

I am wondering though where to get the appropriate firmware and modules packages from ... they appear to be only available for 5.11 in security-testing.

Kernel modules for dom0 are provided by the main kernel and
kernel-latest packages. The firmware will need to come from whichever
qube the device is attached to.

When I tried kernel-latest yesterday (it was still 5.15), booting worked just fine until the login manager GUI was supposed to come up and than the machine blacked out, which I assum to mean missing modules?

I am not sure. Do the system logs from that time show anything
interesting?

Thank you for any advise in this matter.

You are welcome.

- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab