[qubes-users] Installation start text leads to a blank screen.

Hi. I’m trying to install Qubes on my laptop, but everytime I load the USB drive it spawns a bunch of text followed by a blank screen. I tried partitioning the ISO at 4 GB as recommended by the trouble shooting page, but sadly, no luck. I have pictures of the text I took with my phone, but unfortunatly, they are a bit blurry and need a bit of close up to see the text properly since the picture is a bit blurry. Because of their size I can’t yet upload both. Instead I uploaded the first

Shadow Wolf:

Hi. I'm trying to install Qubes on my laptop, but everytime I load the USB
drive it spawns a bunch of text followed by a blank screen. I tried
partitioning the ISO at 4 GB as recommended by the trouble shooting page,
but sadly, no luck. I have pictures of the text I took with my phone, but
unfortunatly, they are a bit blurry and need a bit of close up to see the
text properly since the picture is a bit blurry. Because of their size
I can't yet upload both. Instead I uploaded the first [image:
20211031_161610.jpg]

Update your BIOS if you haven't already, and check if VT-d is enabled in BIOS settings. Also, sometimes it can help to see what workarounds others with similar models have had to do in the HCL (Hardware compatibility list (HCL) | Qubes OS). Don't see any Dell G5s, but maybe compare against other Dell models from the same time-frame.

Hi. I'm trying to install Qubes on my laptop, but everytime I load the USB drive it spawns a bunch of text followed by a blank screen. I tried partitioning the ISO at 4 GB as recommended by the trouble shooting page, but sadly, no luck. I have pictures of the text I took with my phone, but unfortunatly, they are a bit blurry and need a bit of close up to see the text properly since the picture is a bit blurry. Because of their size I can't yet upload both. Instead I uploaded the first 20211031_161610.jpg

Well, most mobile cams allow setting the resolution; if not, you could still use software like GIMP to downscale the images or use a JPEG quality less than 99. That should result in images of reasonable size.
Despite of that you could try to "unsharp mask" blurry images.
Even better maybe: Hold the mobily steady before when you expect to make a shot. Then just make the shot...

Shadow Wolf:

Hi. I'm trying to install Qubes on my laptop, but everytime I load the USB
drive it spawns a bunch of text followed by a blank screen. I tried
partitioning the ISO at 4 GB as recommended by the trouble shooting page,
but sadly, no luck. I have pictures of the text I took with my phone, but
unfortunatly, they are a bit blurry and need a bit of close up to see the
text properly since the picture is a bit blurry. Because of their size
I can't yet upload both. Instead I uploaded the first [image:
20211031_161610.jpg]

Update your BIOS if you haven't already, and check if VT-d is enabled in BIOS settings. Also, sometimes it can help to see what workarounds others with similar models have had to do in the HCL (Hardware compatibility list (HCL) | Qubes OS). Don't see any Dell G5s, but maybe compare against other Dell models from the same time-frame.

Another idea would be trying an external monitor in case the video timing is out of bound for the built-in panel (I had such an issue with my monitor).