[qubes-users] General setup questions from Noob

Hello qubes-users,

im a Noob to Linux, but i wanna try it because it seems that it offers great security advantages over a normal “bare metal” System or Windows.

However i have some problems, like setup my network printer properly, i installed the proprietary drivers properly in the template VM, but i have no clue how to configure the printer and the operating system to communicate with the Printer. I installed the .deb driver package in the Template of the DisposableTemplate, started the console of the Disposable template via Dom0 terminal and checked if the drivers were properly installed. It seems they are as they show up flagged with ii.

Also i ran into that problem that my Authy client installed over Snap stopped working, terminal prints out that:

[user@personal ~]$ authy WARNING: cgroup v2 is not fully supported yet, proceeding with partial confinement /snap/authy/5/authy: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory [user@personal ~]$

Also i want to update my old InsydeH20 Bios, because it is the first release version and my PC is from 2016, they were several ME Firewall patches and also drivers for touchpad for linux were delivered etc. etc. and Microcode Update. I tried updating with FreeDOS from SD Card, but it seems that my Bios does nut support booting from SD card. My Bios version is V1.12… this is the first release…

I have Qubes installed in Legacy Mode. Is it possible to switch it to UEFI mode? Because maybe it will boot much faster? The problem is i cannot turn off Secure Boot in my Bios by default, i am even not able to turn hyperthreading of, because the InsydeH20 stock bios looks like from a Kindergarden.

It would be nice if someone can go through that with me.

1 Like

Alexander Reseneder:

Hello qubes-users,

im a Noob to Linux, but i wanna try it because it seems that it offers
great security advantages over a normal "bare metal" System or Windows.

However i have some problems, like setup my network printer properly, i

Have you seen Contents/docs/configuration/network-printer.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub?

Also i ran into that problem that my Authy client installed over Snap
stopped working, terminal prints out that:

IIRC, both Authy and Snap can be challenging to run under Qubes, but I don't remember what it takes. Think others have managed though. Try searching this mailing list for "Authy"?

Also i want to update my old InsydeH20 Bios, because it is the first
release version and my PC is from 2016, they were several ME Firewall
patches and also drivers for touchpad for linux were delivered etc. etc.
and Microcode Update. I tried updating with FreeDOS from SD Card, but it
seems that my Bios does nut support booting from SD card. My Bios version
is V1.12.... this is the first release..

Try a USB drive instead, maybe.

I have Qubes installed in Legacy Mode. Is it possible to switch it to UEFI
mode? Because maybe it will boot much faster? The problem is i cannot turn
off Secure Boot in my Bios by default, i am even not able to turn
hyperthreading of, because the InsydeH20 stock bios looks like from a
Kindergarden.

Qubes will install itself the same way you booted the install media- legacy in this case. PCs from 2016 have iffy UEFI support, so if you're functioning under Legacy boot now I wouldn't change it. The boot times on both seem roughly equivalent, so that shouldn't be a major reason to switch.

There is one thread about authy in the mailing list and it is from me… :frowning:

Does really no one knows an fix for it?