[qubes-users] Errors updating Fedora 30 template

I am just learning Qubes and have found I can update a Fedora based App VM running “dnf update” as root, but when I run the same command to update the Fedora 30 template I get these errors:

created by dnf config-manager from https://dl.f 0.0 B/s | 0 B 00:00

Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_updates_29_everything_x86_64_’:

Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_updates_29_everything_x86_64_’: Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried

Fedora Modular 30 - x86_64 - Updates 0.0 B/s | 0 B 00:01

Errors during downloading metadata for repository ‘updates-modular’:

Error: Failed to download metadata for repo ‘updates-modular’: Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: Curl error (56): Failure when receiving data from the peer for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-modular-f30&arch=x86_64 [Received HTTP code 500 from proxy after CONNECT]

I have tried everything I can find online including instructions on the Qubes site. Seems like Debian is easier to upgrade and install on, but I want to learn Fedora. What do I need to do to update the template so I can install a more secure browser and have changes survive reboots?

First step will be getting an up-to-date template to work off. Fedora 30
is well past EOL. Try installing `qubes-template-fedora-32` in dom0.

I am just learning Qubes and have found I can update a Fedora based App VM running "dnf update" as root, but when I run the same command to update the Fedora 30 template I get these errors:

created by dnf config-manager from https://dl.f 0.0 B/s | 0 B 00:00
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'dl.fedoraproject.org_pub_archive_fedora_linux_updates_29_everything_x86_64_':
- Curl error (56): Failure when receiving data from the peer for https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/29/everything/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml

This indicates that you are either running Fedora 29 or have changed a
config to get packages from 29. Either way, the above recommendation
stands.

I tried running ‘dnf install qubes-template-fedora-32’ as root and get:

Failed to synchronize cache for repo ‘qubes-dom0-cached’, disabling.

No package qubes-template-fedora-32 available
Error: unable to find a match

Also tried: sudo qubes-dom0-install qubes-template-fedora-32 and get the same output

I tried running 'dnf install qubes-template-fedora-32' as root and get:

Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'qubes-dom0-cached', disabling.
No package qubes-template-fedora-32 available
Error: unable to find a match

Also tried: sudo qubes-dom0-install qubes-template-fedora-32 and get the
same output

`sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-32` is the command you
want. The update script wraps all installs and updates in Dom0 on Qubes.

“Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again”

Make sure you're running this command in dom0, not in a TemplateVM.

The terminal I am running from the upper left corner menu says dom0

When I run the command it says: Using sys-whonix as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time
But then the cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. error

Based on your other posts in addition to this, it sounds like there may be a problem with your internet connection, proxy settings, or UpdateVM. Can you access the internet normally from, e.g., a web browser in an AppVM?

Internet is working ok in all AppVm.
I tried updating a qube by clicking the UpdateVM blue arrow in Qubes Manager and I get: Curl error (56): failure when receiving data from peer…[Received HTTP code 500 from proxy after Connect]
Someone said something about using a VPN to get around it but that’s a whole other issue to get that working
I also read a post about editing something so the repositories use a http connection rather than https but haven’t tried that

Definitely sounds like some kind of network-related issue (possibly including firewall, updates proxy, etc.). Have you made any modifications to your system that might affect these things? Did anything else happen at the same time that it stopped working?

No modifications, it gives me those errors even with a fresh install when trying to use sys-whonix as the updatevm.

I changed the UpdateVM from sys-whonix to sys-firewall and was able to update Dom0
Is that safe?

I figured out why sys-whonix wasn’t working; because I never completed the connection wizard that pops up at every boot. I usually don’t use whonix/tor to connect to the internet so I just never completed the prompts.

I did however already update dom0 as I said using the sys-firewall connection for the UpdateVM. Wondering if that is safe or if I should do a fresh install and update it the proper way. Page loading seems to be a bit slower now than before I updated dom0. Is that typical?

I figured out why sys-whonix wasn’t working; because I never completed the connection wizard that pops up at every boot. I usually don’t use whonix/tor to connect to the internet so I just never completed the prompts.

I figured out why sys-whonix wasn't working; because I never completed the
connection wizard that pops up at every boot. I usually don't use
whonix/tor to connect to the internet so I just never completed the
prompts.
I did however already update dom0 as I said using the sys-firewall
connection for the UpdateVM. Wondering if that is safe or if I should do a
fresh install and update it the proper way.

From a pure Qubes security perspective, it is normal and safe to update via sys-firewall (clearnet) rather than sys-whonix (Tor). Updating via Tor can provide some additional protection from targeted attacks, but it is not necessary (in the sense that the Qubes security model neither assumes nor requires the use of Tor).

However, *if* you need the privacy that Tor provides (e.g., because you live under a totalitarian regime that may wish to harm you if they find out that you're using Qubes or any of the software that comes included with Qubes), then it is not safe, since a clearnet connection provides practically no privacy compared to Tor.

Page loading seems to be a bit
slower now than before I updated dom0. Is that typical?

It depends on which updates you installed, but generally no.

1 Like