pillule <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
When using a disposable sys-net, you eventually encounter two occurences of
password management that you may want to not repeat at nauseam :
So my question is, if you do use a sys-net-dvm, how do you handle this
- do you use bind-dirs ? (is that not reserved to template <- vm ? and not possible at all for dvm-template <- dvm ?)
- do you use rpc services ? if so how ?
- another way ?
Re: [qubes-users] using static dispVM for sys-net
I remembered about mail-archive.com and found this thread which gives a solution
Configure the networks settings in the templateDispvm.
This needs some manual interventions for each new wifi passwords / installation
Also this means that you need to connect your templateDispvm to the targeted
networks with your modem.
There's two scripts to help with it.
When you have to restart a netvm you have to shutdown the vm which depends on it or at least use qvm-pref <vm> netvm none
qvm-restart take care of that by disabling this pref before the shutdown of a netvm and restore them after it start again.
letsetwifi is similar but meant specially to set your wifi password in the templateDispvm so
- it cuts the connexions by disabling the netvm prefs
- it reassigns the network pci devices to the templateDVM
- shutdown the dvm, start the template
- wait for your input with `read` to let you take your time to setup your password (you have to do it manually in network manager widget)
- at your input restore the initial situation.
be warned that while there is some error handling;
both wont restore the prefs/pci if you interrupt them, eventually leaving you with a network that you have to fix yourself.
(Attachment qvm-restart is missing)
(Attachment letsetwifi is missing)