Qubes update manager broken

I cant use the Qubes update manager, it returns an error. I some minutes searching for the same issue but did not see the same error. It returns

Error on updating debian-11: Command ‘[‘sudo’, ‘qubesctl’, ‘–skip-dom0’, ‘–targets=debian-11’, ‘–show-output’, ‘state.sls’, ‘update.qubes-vm’]’ returned non-zero exit status 127.
debian-11:
/etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.SaltLinuxVM: line 46: salt-ssh: command not found

where should I go from here to solve this?

Did you try to update using the command line?

Are you using the command line method for updating? If so, can you paste here the command you use?

You could explain where you got that debian-11 template, and what you
have done to it.
The default debian-11 template includes /usr/bin/salt-ssh. If you dont
have that file, check to see if you have removed the salt-ssh package.
If you have, reinstall that package.

1 Like

Hi unman, i don’t know how i ended up removing the package and on a regular distro i would have figured that out. but Qubes OS is more difficult for me.

i get a new error now that says:

Error on updating debian-11: Command ‘[‘sudo’, ‘qubesctl’, ‘–skip-dom0’, ‘–targets=debian-11’, ‘–show-output’, ‘state.sls’, ‘update.qubes-v,’]’ returned non-zero exit code status 20.

debian-11:
ssh: could not resolve hostname debian-11: Temporary failure in name resolution

with a quick search on the internet i could not find a similar error. i would prefer to solve it, but is a re installation of the debian template a fool-proof fix? :slight_smile:

Are you using the command line method for updating? If so, can you paste here the command you use?

The default debian-11 template includes /usr/bin/salt-ssh. If you dont
have that file, check to see if you have removed the salt-ssh package.

salt-ssh was not installed, the problem started happening after restoring templates from backup, i don’t know what i could have done. i have still not solved this issue, because after installing salt-ssh this is the result. i have been updating templates manually.

with terminal:

user@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubesctl --skip-dom0 --targets=debian-11 --show-output state.sls update.qubes-vm debian-11:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname debian-11: Temporary failure in name resolution

with GUI:

@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubesctl --skip-dom0 --targets=debian-11 --show-output state.sls update.qubes-vm
debian-11:
ssh: Could not resolve hostname debian-11: Temporary failure in name resolution

where do i go from here?

Do you have an entry for “debian-11” in /etc/hosts, and if not, why not?

Do you have qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector package installed?
What do you have set for management_dispvm for that template?

1 Like

Do you have an entry for “debian-11” in /etc/hosts, and if not, why not?

no entries for anything besides localhost in dom0, in debian-11 template there is an entry for itself. should i add it to dom0?

Do you have qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector package installed?

not installed in debian-11, just as salt-ssh. but it is present in my whonix template. it seems i am missing critical packages? i can’t imagine how that happened. i don’t remember uninstalling any software, and especially not editing my hosts file

note that everything in my system works flawlessly besides the update tool

What do you have set for management_dispvm for that template?

management_dispvm - default-mgmt-dvm, default-mgmt-dvm is debian-11

is there a way i can test the update tool without waiting for packages to need updates?

Try changing the default-mgmt-dvm to an offline Fedora based disposable
template.

1 Like

updates work after installing qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector package, thanks