Qubes Tools for Kali HVM - objective copy/paste between qubes

I’ve searched, but I did not find any real tread on fixing the copy/paste between HVM and qubes.

I have a kali HVM, and I need to copy/paste from other qubes as well, I’ve heared installing the debian 11 qubes tools would work, where can I find them?
I’ll also make a backup before attempting…

KEY: it tools must be from an official source, I’m not installing anything “community” made.

If you are using Kali you should use debian-12 packages: Kali is based
on debian-testing.
deb [arch=amd64] https://deb.qubes-os.org/r4.1/vm bookworm main

1 Like

Hey Unman, thanks for the repo line I added it and imported the proper GPG key so now it’s fully working.

Now though, which packages for the copy-paste do I have to install from that repo? I seriously googled but didn’t find anything useful. Installing everything certainly breaks the OS, and I only need copy/paste clipboard and if possible the send-to files feature…

As soon as I figure everything out I’ll paste detailed instructions in this thread, for those like me that needed the tools in kali HVM.

1 Like

qubes-core-agent provides qvm-copy

I’ve installed successfully the qubes-core-agent packakge (selecting the option to swap the /etc/fstab with the one provided by the package), but the system breaks after the reboot. Thankfully I always make a backup right before attempting the tools installation.

Unless you already know for sure I have to keep my current /etc/fstab configuration, I don’t know what to do, and you certainly cannot waste more time debugging this, but perhaps someone already installed the tools successfully to Kali HVM and will reply one day…

Unless you already know for sure I have to keep my current /etc/fstab configuration, I don’t know what to do, and you certainly cannot waste more time debugging this, but perhaps someone already installed the tools successfully to Kali HVM and will reply one day…
[/quote]

It’s always difficult to use standard tools in HVM qubes. They rarely
work.
Keeping the current fstab wont solve the problem. I dont have time to
dig deeper.

Given that you don’t want to use anything from the community, the
best I can suggest is that you clone a debian-11 template, dist-upgrade
it to debian-12, install the kali key and repositories, and then update
to kali packages, making sure you don’t remove the core qubes packages.
Then, if you want a standalone you can create it from that template and
there’s a good chance it will work.

offtopic

Is there any advantage on using HVM over PVH of the same distro qube when both are possible, except for having desktop environment in the former?

The PVH would probably work, but for specific reasons I’ll keep using the HVM (besides the fact that after 4 months of carefully configuring the HVM I cannot simply switch to a PVH and rebuild everything from scratch).
It’s okay I know you’re busy, I’ll come back and check the thread periodically, perhaps in the future someone will find a way to make the qubes tools work on the Kali HVM.

@enmus No, the only benefit is the GUI, but with considerable higher resources consumption compared to the PVH of the same distro.