Qubes ready to install for Journalist-Human Rights workers

/srv/salt?

1 Like

ā€¦and make them actually work properly :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to keep a computer around to use Windows 10, because, I have a few devices that the software to connect to computer is only for Windows. So, despite my frustration with the implications of Windows Operating System security - - - I understand the need.

As a workaround, consider installing a Qube of Ubuntu, and using WINE (Windows Emulator for Linux). Ubuntu because they have a large forum which has folks who have accomplished all kinds of implementations of software, and some advice in many different languages.

If the standard WINE is either difficult for what you want to do, and or you have money for your use of Windows. You might look at the CodeWeavers site. Run Microsoft Windows software on Mac, Linux and ChromeOS | CodeWeavers

Myself, I believe there exists several free software that is a ā€œI Talk It Types.ā€ I am guessing the versions which there is advice on how to use in different languages.

What I would consider an insecure means of trying to use Windows is to do a dual install of Qubes, and Windows. Qubes needs to be all alone on the computer to obtain . . . I think someone else can explain the how of that point better.

Just Qubes, to attain its goals of security, needs to be installed 'Bare Metal" on the computer. ā€œBare Metalā€ being the term of nothing between Qubes and the computer but the Firmware which is for that computer.

All of the salt underlying the packages available in qubes-task can be
found on GitHub

The formulas are very simple, use very few salt states,
and some of the Qubes modules.
This is deliberate - I think almost anyone can look at the source and
understand what is going to happen.

This is fine for single packages - I do not configure a full system in
this way. There it makes sense to use templating, pillar data and grains.
If you want to set up a full system itā€™s simpler to use more complex
structures.

@alzer89 Iā€™m not altogether clear on what it is you are trying to do
here. As Iā€™ve suggested I would not use these simple formulas as the
basis for configuring a full system

Anywayā€¦

You can put the files anywhere where salt can find them.
This is configured in /etc/minion.d/f_defaults.conf
By default the Qubes system has /srv/salt/ as the file root for base
You should always try to structure states and formulas using a proper
directory structure.
So installing the builder package creates a directory at
/srv/salt/builder containing the source files.
Because /srv/salt is the file root, you can access these files just by
specifying (using a dot) - e.g. builder.install

The default install also has /srv/formulas - there you will find some
of the formulas for qubes - the formulas are in
/srv/formulas/base/virtual-machines-formula/qvm, and you can access
them using qvm.

These form part of the base environment - Qubes also provides a
state to create user salt and pillar directories at /srv/user_salt and
/srv/user_pillar - set this up with qubesctl state.apply qubes.user-dirs
These are for personal configurations, and wont be affected by any
updates.

You can create new environments with new directory structures, but in
Qubes Iā€™ve never felt the need.

This may be the right approach for what you are trying to do: I donā€™t
know.
salt has built in support for templating, and uses jinja as the default
templating language. Itā€™s highly recommended on security grounds.
You can use jinja to provide control structures, access pillar data,
grains, and to deal with variables in the state file.
You can see simple jinja used here to deal with cases where there is a
cacher qube in the system.

{% if salt['qvm.exists']('cacher') %}

{% for repo in salt['file.find']('/etc/yum.repos.d/', name='*repo*') %}
{{ repo }}_baseurl:
    file.replace:
      - name: {{ repo }}
      - pattern: 'baseurl=https://'
      - repl: 'baseurl=http://HTTPS///'
      - flags: [ 'IGNORECASE', 'MULTILINE' ]
{{ repo }}_metalink:
    file.replace:
      - name: {{ repo }}
      - pattern: 'metalink=https://(.*)basearch'
      - repl: 'metalink=http://HTTPS///\1basearch&protocol=http'
      - flags: [ 'IGNORECASE', 'MULTILINE' ]

{% endfor %}
{% endif %}

The {% %} delimit control structures, and {{ }} variables
If there isnā€™t a cacher qube, then none of that code reaches the
evaluated state.

Good to see salt getting more attention in Qubes.

1 Like

Iā€™ve spent the last month on that repo, studying it religiously. Youā€™ve done really well with it.

Theyā€™re simple once you figure it out :grin:

Qubes OS ā€œQube Makerā€

Template Builder
Salt Script Generator
Automatic Provisioner

Imagine the ā€œCreate new Qubeā€¦ā€ GUI dialog box, but with a few extra widgets at the bottom:

• Something like the current ā€œQube Settingsā€¦ā€ dialog box, but with a few additions
  • Users could select from a list what packages theyā€™d like installed in their Qube
    • Standard distribution repos
    • The Qubes OS repo
  • Users could potentially put in the path to custom repos (or even DEB/RPM/ZST/eBuild packages) to add to the list
    • Any package not in the standard repos (maybe the actual maintainerā€™s repo is a few versions ahead of the distro repo)
    • Sysadmins/software devs could include their own bespoke packages (corporate internal software, etc.)
  • Users could specify additional things like:
    • Custom config files
    • Anything else that Salt scripts let you do (assuming a decent enough UI can be made for it, and Iā€™ll do my best)
  • Users have the option to:
    • Build a template/Qube based on that config
    • Build Salt scripts based off Salt templates, based on that config
    • Both
Why do this?
  • It allows anyone to provision custom AppVMs (they might be based on predefined Salt templates, but that would still be enough for most people)
    • AND share them with the community! :slight_smile:
  • Would be a massive time-saver for sysadmins in provisioning work machines
  • Instead of ā€œI created this awesome Qube, you should try it, hereā€™s the entire 15GB template backupā€, it becomes ā€œIā€™ve created this awesome Qube, you should try it, here are the 400KB Salt configsā€
    • Allows for more transparency when the community shares their customised AppVMs/Templates
    • Would likely be easier to use for more demographics than manually typing them out (journalists and HRDs and their bosses is a good example)
  • Could potentially even be as simple as cloning the ā€œQube Settingsā€¦ā€ dialog box and reconnecting the widgets to a backend that generates Salt scripts

ā€”ā€”ā€”

Iā€™ll do up a UI and post it to show you what Iā€™ve got in mind :slight_smile:

ā€”ā€”ā€”-

Hereā€™s an example of my first try at making Salt files:

Yes, theyā€™re probably a bit cringe, but this is likely the end result if a regular user could be bothered to give it a goā€¦.

A GUI tool to auto-generate these based on pre-made Salt templates would go a long way in making Salt in Qubes OS ā€œaccessible to the massesā€.

ā€”ā€”ā€”-

That was what I was struggling with. Thank you!

Thatā€™s what I have been doing.

I will once I get up to speed on that actual directory structure. Iā€™m getting thereā€¦.

Thats what Iā€™ve been basing the scripts off.

That explains a lot. Thank you!

Itā€™s very powerful, but requires a lot of text-based config, which puts it beyond the point where a lot of regular Qubes users would go ā€œNah, couldnā€™t be botheredā€¦.No GUI toolā€¦.Too difficultā€¦.ā€

1 Like

I hate to revive this threat, but the transition to R4.2 shows why Qubes OS is not ready to install for journalists and human rights workers. VPN no longer works. The desktop environment is different. Some applications are XFCE and different from Gnome. Where did text editor go? Oh, itā€™s now mousepad!? Suddenly thereā€™s a new learning curve.

I had separate conversations in the recent weeks with human rights people working with those living in hostile environments. Everyone needs Qubes OS. And yet none of the persons who spoke to me said Qubes OS is usable. Certainly note for helping people in difficult environments to install it and use it.

For Qubes OS to be usable by journalists and human rights workers, a dedicated non-profit organizations needs to be set up to provide ongoing support / training / coaching to the end user.

Edit / addition: I have great appreciation for the work of the Qubes developers. I certainly do not want my posts to discourage them. When I post, I consider myself as a Qubes advocate. I have offered to train some hr orgs on Qubes after using it for many years now and I keep mentioning it.

4 Likes

May I PM you?

I just PMed you.

I, too, am rather shocked by the differences. Always game to learn new things, but I may now spend a week getting things back to the way I liked them. I suppose, however, growing pains are beneficial for new users ā€“ especially all the dialog and help boxes, like those now appearing in Qubes Global Settings.

I am glad to see you are still using - Qubes that is. Your insights on things Qubes, and implementation(s) is surely going to be useful.

I believe that the Developers did make a good decision on where to stop, and not include software beyond the basic implementation of the qubes for operating systems, was a good decision.

As of now, their decision makes it obvious where the best security point ends.

But that does not mean Qubes is ready for the use of a non-technical person. Particularly someone who has little computer experience, in a desperate situation where they are at risk by a power structure, a government, who has complete control of the ISP, internet structure, for searching security topics.

I think the templates are too bloated (especially in 4.2); minimal (with the necessary packages for sys VMs) should be default. But i understand this lowers the bar for entry to many new users, so im okay with setting up my own slimmer system.

Now that Qubes Builder v2 is out, when I find the time id like to drill further into my amateur salt scripting (perhaps finding external funding for the task) and reevaluate my github repo for journalists. It is a travesty of a work in progress, but i remain committed ā€“ if slow. (I think that is just the reality of this space: few hands and a whole lot of work, which places a premium on education before action ā€“ a necessary byproduct.)

Ive also engaged the FPF team on their Securedrop Workstation and feel now that if there is to be a broader recognition and implementation of Qubes within the journalism community, itā€™ll be through them.

Hoping this thread doesnt die ā€¦ So thanks for reviving.

4 Likes

I have good news: you can do this easily with qubes-arbitrary-network-topology

Set up a Tor inbound traffic VM (which is to be attached to a standard NetVM or ProxyVM), and connect it to whatever HTTP server VM you have, using qubes-arbitrary-network-topology.

Set the IP addresses of the Xen NICs on both sides using NetworkManager, and set firewall rules to route between them as per Tor hidden services guide.

Thatā€™s it! Hereā€™s a nice diagram for you:

If you succeed at this, write it up so I can post it as a tutorial on how to do it, directly on the repo.

2 Likes

Is there something in there about using pluggable transports as Tor allows?

@Rudd-O youā€™re in fire!

Added to my todo list, no guarantee when but really interesting! Youre reviving a ancient dream here. Thank you for your work on OpenZFS, network topology and this network-server which are all things that if they were in community repos would make those amazing things accessible to everyone by being opt-in. Thought about that?

I am trying to bring bees for BRTFS for a while and was finally able to get close to iterate on that. That is under the testing group, which needs to be registered for at https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/bees-and-brtfs-deduplication/ .

If there is interest from others (Involves learning qubes-builder-v2, salt and qubes packaging fu to propse proper PR for upstreaming inclusion) tag me here and Iā€™ll ask moderators to move that post for general access (considering asking if I do not get answers in the next days. Iā€™m on learning momentum, would love to get this forward and also asked at You're invited to talk on Matrix on qubes-public matrix channel.

Thanks again @Rudd-O ! Amazing work!

3 Likes