Qubes not loading without manual selection in boot menu. Is it actually a problem? And few more questions of newbie

Quick command to remove it:

sudo sed -i "/sys-net/d" /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.InputMouse

“Provides Network” is enabled by default in sys-usb because some users can use an external network device, for example, connected via USB. So it’s easier for them. If you don’t have any use case or if you want to transfer to sys-net like you said, you can disable it.
NetworkManager can also be unchecked/removed if you don’t need it.

1 Like

Thank you, my friend, for all the help that you provided! You do a great job here, on this forum! :trophy:

1 Like

About qrexec. I disabled auto-connection to the Internet, so sys-whonix complaining it can’t connect to the qrexec during 60 seconds. It happens when sys-whonix starts automatically after system start while I didn’t turn Internet on yet. Then sys-whonix automatically is shutting down.

What did you disable to stop the auto-connect? I am not sure why sys-whonix shuts down because of qrexec, it should not.

I thought it was because of Internet is turned off.

Right click on the connection icon in upper right corner, selecting my connection settings and unchecking in “General” tab “Connect automatically with priority”. After this it stopped auto-connection after each system start.

Also I found how to change system language and of Templates. But I have doubts about whether I can then enter the password for the drive the next time the system starts. Can I?

sys-whonix should just hang like any other qube when Internet is down. If it shuts down because of qrexec, it’s more likely to be for some other reason.

System language doesn’t change keymaps. Entering the password at boot time will work fine.

1 Like

Each time when it shows that message, it’s showing a path to log where will be written details. I can look there next time after system start. Or, if you know that path, you can tell it and I’ll check it straight away.

If it’s qrexec related, it should be in /var/log/qubes/qrexec.sys-whonix.log

But there might be more information in /var/log/xen/console/guest-sys-whonix.log

Both are located in dom0.

So it means I must use some terminal command again to see its contents?

You can get them from the Qubes Manager. Right click on sys-whonix and select “logs”. You will get a new window with different log files that you can copy to your clipboard.

1 Like

Strange. I did exactly what was told in this manual and system language didn’t change. It’s still remained English. I chose the language before login in system as there was told to do and It didn’t help anyway. I did it (update) in dom0 Terminal as it should have to be done.

Fun fact but during this system start was no errors with qrexec.

And log file is empty. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t really help with this. My system is based on English and I don’t use any other language. You should tag someone there and ask if anything has changed since then.

Could be a random issue if it runs now.

Hello again. Faced such problem. Maybe you know a little bit about how to help?

In the debian template terminal, run sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales, select your language (e.g. de_DE.UTF-8) with the space bar, and then hit enter. Select the language and press enter again. Reboot the template and you will have your system in your chosen language.

1 Like

Thanks! It helped. Though not everything there was translated (for example user folders) but most.

Hallo, folks! Marry Christmas to all! :christmas_tree:
I got few new questions (actually, what is missing here is a section like FAQ, which would be attached and where users could ask questions on a regular basis, so that they don’t have to create a new topic every time).

1. When “updates through tor” item is checked during installation, does system perform checking for new updates through the Tor network too or also via clearnet? I got this question when one day I noticed that message about new update available appeared when network connection was established but connection to the Tor was not enabled yet.
  2. I discovered that unfortunately Qubes has no such good Tails’ features built-in like file shredding, meta data removing and hash sums colculating. Could you, please, tell me the names of these packages so that I can install them in terminal? I know that you can perform the same operations using terminal commands but I don’t want to f*** with terminal each time I need to use one of these features. It’s much better and faster when you can always just right-click on the file and choose one of those operations as it is implemented in Tails. I know for sure that it’s possible to add this “right-click” feature in linux because I already did the same when had an Ubuntu. And since Tails is Debian based and my default cubes are too, so it should probably work in Qubes too. I just did it a long time ago so don’t remember these package names and only remember that it took many time to find them, but maybe here are the guys who already know them and this could be a great help to me and many other users.

This is done using the running qube package manager. This means that it will use the qube netvm to search for new updates. So if you have a qube running with sys-firewall (and then sys-net), it will do the search with your real internet connection and not with Tor. The only part that uses Tor is when you update the template itself. In Qubes 4.2 you can control this in the global settings under “Updates”. On Qubes 4.1 you can manually add the “qubes-update-check” service per qube and uncheck it to disable it.

Not sure, but I think it uses mat2 and gtkhash. I don’t know what the shredding one is.

You can install both from the package manager (sudo apt install or sudo dnf install). You can then add custom actions in the xfce4 preferences menu.

1 Like