Qubes hardware landscape

Not on my laptops, none of them have a PS/2 port, and the installer needed no tweaking what so ever to install sys-usb.
I even had to search online to find out what PS/2 actually is! Nobody uses this nowadays. It is something from old computers. Verry old, found on a wikipedia page “discontinued in 1995”.

1 Like

Thank you, now I finally understand why it is impossible to install Qubes on any modern desktop (as far is I know). Qubes is for laptops only?

Moreover, while most laptops use PS/2 connections for the keyboard internally, some use USB.

1 Like

Most laptops’ integrated keyboard and pointer devices are wired in as PS/2 devices. Sure, the laptops no longer have externally available PS/2 ports, so all add-on keyboard/pointer devices are USB, but to say PS/2 went away 27 years ago is patently untrue.

B

1 Like

Me: “Does Apple hardware use PS/2?”
Apple Salesman: “Sir, PS2 is made by Sony, not Apple.”
Me: :expressionless:

(I’ve never encountered any PS/2 interface on Apple hardware)

1 Like

I probably should have said are either wired in as PS/2 or emulated as PS/2 devices at boot.

Contemporary laptop keyboard/pointer are usually wired in as SPI and the firmware (BIOS/EC) provides work-alike PS/2 access (emulation).

Some vendors provide a driver that can change the device mode from emulated ps/2 to direct SPI in order to support additional functionality that is difficult to support over the PS/2 device interface.

B

2 Likes

Prior to USB, Apple had ADB, much like PS/2 on PC but more feature-rich. I am happy it is not with us anymore.

1 Like

Did the salesman get fired? :smiley:

Hahaha no. The manager said the same thing. To be fair, it wasn’t really something that would be covered in their job training…