Qubes compatible device that can also mine?

Hello, so I’m new here and I was in the market for a new laptop. My funds are quite short currently and my initial idea was to purchase a laptop that I could mine on while I wasn’t using to slowly pay the cost back. However, I didn’t realize that the specifications for Qubes were so specific and it appears not many approved machines have dedicated GPUs for mining. I did a search on the forums and didn’t find anything so I figured I’d drop a post to see why.
I’m not opposed to building a device or adding components that would even be preferred, but I’m new to this space and I’m not sure if there’s a specific reason for not having those types of cards.
If anyone has any suggestions on some configurations that could “get two birds stoned at once” that would be awesome. Thanks for your time, I was looking forward to ordering a new machine to explore Qubes on but I ran head first into a brick wall here :p.

i’m no expert on mining, but mining in laptop isn’t profitable?

if you want to learn qubes, linux, etc you could find t430 (i5 / i7) with 16gb ram and ssd is the cheapest way to enjoy qubes. it’s cost $300 i guess.

1500-2k laptop w/ rtx 2070/2080 or gtx 3060/3070/3080 makes decent ROI, but I’m not here to debate the effectiveness of laptop mining. I’m here to discuss compatible devices for both or understand why they aren’t to see if I’m able to find a resolution. Plus I have other use cases for it but it’s still irrelevant to the point. WTB helpful discussion not gatekeeping circlejerks lol.

I dont have idea :blush: okay, good luck.

Spanks. Like I said I’m not opposed to building something, and in that case it would probably end up being a desktop.

Looks like Gigabyte X570 Gaming X motherboard with Ryzen 7 3800X and Radeon HD is the only one under motherboards that is green across the board. If anyone knows why that one in particular is special or what happens when you add a GPU that could be the ticket.

PCI passthrough for GPU devices under Xen has not been supported well.

I wouldn’t hold out hope.

In particular, laptop dGPUs and iGPUs share a lot of I/O pathways (unlike in desktops) so you generally can’t have a working screen from the iGPU when attempting to use the dGPU for something else.

B

1 Like

Oh I see, I wasn’t thinking to necessarily be mining while using Qubes, just when I’m sleeping or not actively using it. Like booting into another OS to mine. I’m not sure if that helps though are you saying if a GPU doesn’t support PCI passthrough then you don’t want it hooked up to the machine while running Qubes?

I’m wondering because for example, Asus Strix GL704GW_GL704GW
Intel Core i7-8750H Cannon Lake Integrated Graphics (HD 630) & RTX 2070 shows green across the board except under TPM it’s blue. What would happen if I put the RTX 2070 onto the Gigabyte X570 Gaming X motherboard and Ryzen 7 3800X processor? Since TPM is controlled by CPU not GPU, but I’m fairly ignorant to any complex interactions or incompatibilities that could result.

Mining is not possible in Qubes if you need access to your GPU.

Regarding dual boot setups… they are not a great idea:

“One problem is that when you dual or multiboot, even if you are using encryption on your Qubes installation, /boot is still unprotected and could be maliciously modified by the other OS, possibly leading to Qubes itself being maliciously modified.”

[source: Contents/multiboot.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub]

1 Like

AFAIK you can in principle use a hardware key to make sure that /boot has not been modified by the other OS.

So, as @necker said, Qubes does not use a GPU for security reasons, although a GPU pass-through may be possible (if you have two GPUs).